Inadequate Weight Gain In Newborn

What are the long-term effects of slow weight gain pattern in babies?

Query: Hello doctor, I am worried about the weight gain of my baby. She was born three years back and had weight: 3.36 kg, length 51 cm and head circumference 35 cm. We started exclusively breastfeeding. On the 30th day appointment she had weight 4 kg, length 56 cm, and head circumference 38 cm. 60th day ...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The weight of your baby is slightly less. See it is not about the quantity, it is about the frequency of the feeds and the calorie content of each feed. 1. Feeding should be done every two hourly. Even at night. 2. Fortification of the milk can be done by using ...  Read Full »

Why is one of my twin baby girl not gaining weight?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a month old twin baby girls. They were born in the 34th week of pregnancy. One baby was 2.2 Kg, and the other was a little weaker weighing 2 Kg. Since there is not enough mother's milk after several attempts, I had to go for artificial milk powder. Initially, as suggested by the ho...  Read Full »

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi

General Practitioner, Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Keep trying to give breastfeeds as much as possible till 6 months completion. Different brands of milk powder have different tastes. So, you can change what they like (as advised). Do not dilute more or give more concentrated milk. Usually, dilution mentioned on the...  Read Full »

Why has my 11 month old baby not put on weight from the last three months?

Query: Hi doctor, My 11 month old baby has not put on any weight. Her weight is 6.5 kg now. She has been in the same weight with no increase from the past 3 months. She does not eat any other solid or semi-solid food except breast milk. Please advice.  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Kishore

Paediatrician, Paediatric Surgeon, General Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The amount of food eaten would vary from child to child. Decreased intake, fussy child, and worm infestation are commonest causes for decreased weight gain. I would suggest a deworming for your baby. A single dose of Syrup Albendazole 400 mg will suffice. Also, I wo...  Read Full »

Though my baby is exclusively breastfed, why does he fail to thrive?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby was born at 37 weeks due to growth restriction. His weight was 5 lbs 3 oz. He was in NICU for seven days due to low blood sugar. He is 7 months old and weight 11 lbs 6 oz. He had reflux issues and lip and tongue tie. It was fixed at two months. The reflux was fine after 5 months o...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please note that the weight gain of your baby is fine. Normally birth weight doubles by the age of 6 months, which I think it has. As for 7-1/2 months of age, the weight is only a very little bit lesser probably because of reflux issues. Also, babies pass stools either 10...  Read Full »