Q. Is there any relation between bowel movement and heart rate?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2019

My heart rate goes up to 150 prior to bowel movements. This happens especially when I have an upset stomach. Please explain.

#

• Heart rate generally has no relation to bowel movements, but it may increase due to anxiety.
  • Upset stomach can cause stress in body, leading to a rapid heartbeat.
  • The maximum limit to which heart rate can increase is 220 for your age. If resting heart rate is below 100 per minute, then you need not worry.

For further doubts consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD)

Article Overview: A 35-year-old woman came to me with a chief complaint of muscle tension. She stated that she has experienced a considerable amount of muscle tension her entire life, but it has become increasingly worse over the last 12 months. Read Article

The above mentioned patient is suffering from Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). GAD can be defined as anxiety and worry about several events and activities for a majority of the day. The anxiety and worry of GAD differs from normal anxiety by its excessiveness, the difficu...  Read Article

Can Anxiety And Stress Cause Frequent Urination?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old male. I had anxiety issues since childhood. I have been jumping from one idea to another for a long time but it has been three years I have an issue with frequent urination. It started in a bad time for me when I was obsessing that I have HIV. No burning, just sligh...  Read Full »

Stress causes stiffness in my neck and back. What can be done about it?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a stiffness of neck and pain which continues to the back further. This often happens when a stressful situation arises, which also raises my BP. Worries related to health and other life concerns keep bothering me. Please suggest.  Read Full »