Increased Thirst

Why am I always hungry and thirsty?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 19 year old female. My height is 5 feet and 6 inches, and my weight is 160. For the past month, I have been experiencing weight loss, increased hunger, increased thirst, and frequently need to go to the bathroom to pee out large amounts. My skin has become dry. I have also lost...  Read Full »

Dr. Pratik Patil

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hello doctor, Welcome to icliniq.com. All of these symptoms, along with weight loss and dry skin point to diabetes. Polyphagia refers to excessive hunger or increased appetite. Polydipsia refers to increased thirst. Polyuria refers to increased urination. .I suggest you screen yourself for blood sug...  Read Full »

I am less energetic, thirsty and nauseous feel. Is it due to the side effect of the medicine I had for Strep throat??

Query: Hello doctor, I feel less energetic, very thirsty, and my back has been giving me issues. Also from time to time, I had been feeling nauseous. Three weeks ago I had a strep throat so I was given antibiotics and afterward I got a yeast infection, so I am confused if the side effects from the medicine...  Read Full »

Dr. Harshul Gohel

Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is not to worry about your medication. Your doctor prescribed it after evaluating you. So may be less chance of side effects that causes yeast infection. It will depend on your hygiene, how you maintain it. And as you mentioned that you are feeling less energetic,...  Read Full »

I feel excessive thirst and have some weird taste of the water as if my mouth is salty. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,Since yesterday, I had excessive thirst. I am drinking a lot of water and still feel it. The same happened today, I drank over 500 ml and again feel thirsty. When I drink, I think some weird taste of the water as if my mouth is salty. I have anxiety (panic disorder), so this made me sli...  Read Full »

Dr. C Elanchezhian

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This condition called polydipsia, felling excessive thirsty. Tongue taste is due to dehydration. What about urination, passing more? Usually, this is a symptom of diabetes, are you are in a hot and humid place? For anxiety and panic disorder are you on any medication...  Read Full »

I have frequent urination, thirst, and numbness in feet and hands. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 18 years old, my height is 166 cm and my weight is 54 kg. I am a female. I have been feeling symptoms of diabetes like thirst, urination more than usual, extreme hunger, numbness in feet and hands, tingling in my back, hands trembling, blurry vision, my wounds are taking so long to ...  Read Full »

Dr. Shazli Naseer

Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are very young and have full symptoms, which is typical of type 1 diabetes where the body is insulin dependent and pills do not work. Your doctor should check for particular laboratory tests for that including C-peptide and insulin levels in your system. If your condi...  Read Full »

Why is a child having increased thirst and urination?

Query: Hello doctor, My son (4.3 years old, 21 kg, 109 cm), seems to have a tendency of increased thirst and urination for the past two months. Can I request you to review the below summary and attached reports to help him get well? There are at least 3 to 4 occasions in past two months when he had drunk...  Read Full »

Dr. Amit Modi

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The urine report uploaded seems to be absolutely normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity). And as suggested by the case history, he was never diagnosed with any chronic illness. Blood sugar and BP was always within normal limits. More amount of water int...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for frequent urination and excessive thirst?

Query: Hello doctor, My weight is 90 kg and height is 181 cm. I am a fighter by profession. Four days ago, after finishing three hours of outdoor training, I had severe lower flank pain on both sides. Since then, I am having frequent urination at an average of four times at night and 15 times during the d...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand that you are worried about your health and the urinary system issues. It may be urinary tract infection or fluid and electrolytes imbalances. In both these conditions, we can see such symptoms. It is good to continue having plenty of fluids. Do not perfor...  Read Full »

I have excessive thirst and frequent urination. Are these due to my medications?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been on Lithium for bipolar disorder for over 20 years. From a blood test two years ago, I noticed that my GFR was below 40. So, I gradually started switching from Lithium to Epilim to avoid further damage to my kidneys. But now, I experience excessive thirst and I wake up at nig...  Read Full »

Dr. Pankaj Jawandhiya

Nephrologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your detailed reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Lithium commonly causes two types of renal disease, namely nephrogenic diabetes insipidus and chronic tubulointerstitial nephritis. Diabetes insipidus is causing the...  Read Full »

My brother's daughter has a problem of frequent urination. Please help us.

Query: Hi doctor, My brother's younger daughter is 6 years old. Her weight is 24 kg and height is 4 feet. She always rushes to the bathroom to urinate. In a day, she rushes 20 to 25 times to urinate. We were done her urine RE, and it shows everything as normal. She becomes thirsty to drink water. She fears...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concerns. Increased frequency of urination in a 6 year old child can be due to UTI (Urinary Tract Infection), renal stones or diabetes mellitus. Since, in this case, increased thirst is also present there is a probability of diabetes mellitus. Al...  Read Full »

Why am I feeling thirsty and urinating frequently?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a fungal infection in my groin area and even after taking the medication the problem was persistent. The doctor has advised checking diabetes and thyroid. I would like to have a master health checkup including the tests the doctor has suggested. What all should I consider? I am 2...  Read Full »

Dr. Prathap

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Master health checkup is better to perform but not absolutely necessary at your age. Fungal infections in the groin area not responding to treatment require an immunosuppressive state to be ruled out. Firstly, if you are on any immunosuppressive drugs, then stop them. The...  Read Full »

What does my father's blood sugar value suggest?

Query: Hi doctor, Four months ago, my father's fasting blood sugar level was 110 mg/dL and postprandial was 136 mg/dL. Before that he had sugar levels in the normal range according to regular checkups done. However, there is a spike in his blood sugar level and the detected levels were fasting 214 mg/dl an...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Fasting blood sugar should be less than 126 mg/dL and postprandial should be less than 140 mg/dL after 2 hours. Since your father has fasting blood glucose level of 214 mg/dL and postprandial levels of 301 mg/dL along with classical features of increased thirst, increas...  Read Full »