Q. I have some weird taste of the water as if my mouth is salty associated with excessive thirst. Kindly help.

Dr. C Elanchezhian
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Jun 10, 2019

Since yesterday, I had excessive thirst. I am drinking a lot of water and still feel it. The same happened today, I drank over 500 ml and again feel thirsty. When I drink, I think some weird taste of the water as if my mouth is salty. I have anxiety (panic disorder), so this made me slightly worried about what could have happened to me. Can you help?

Dr. C Elanchezhian

#

This condition called polydipsia, felling excessive thirsty. Tongue taste is due to dehydration. What about urination, passing more? Usually, this is a symptom of diabetes, are you are in a hot and humid place? For anxiety and panic disorder are you on any medication? Immediately go for investigation such as FBS (fasting blood sugar), PPBS (postprandial blood sugar), HbA1c and urine, sugar ketone RFT (renal function test), LFT (liver function test) and review. If sugar is high go for the treatment.

I had a blood test two months ago, and the results were normal. My urination is normal too. Also, can this have an impact on me like fainting or something horrible happening?

Dr. C Elanchezhian

#

You have done investigations two months back. Does anybody in your family have diabetes? Better repeat the test. How many liters water you drank today? Usually, a person can drink 3 to 3.5 liters of water. You did not mention any drug for anxiety and depression. Do not panic, if it is a dehydration problem drink water in adequate quantity. Do a Blood test to know the cause.

No, I do not take any medication, and no person in the family has diabetes. I would say less than 1.5 liters a day usually or just about. Today and yesterday, maybe slightly more. But I never reached 3.5 liters or even 3.

Dr. C Elanchezhian

#

Are you doing Ramadan fasting? After breakfast, what diet you have taken, spicy food? 1.5 liter of water is not enough you can drink more. Some time anxiety and panic condition can also be the reason for thirst. Do investigation for anxiety goes for counseling.

I have been suspected of having gastritis. So I have been advised not to fast. I am waiting for an endoscopy to be taken, and my diet is normal. In the last week, I had a few times pizza more than usual, and yesterday I had it too. That is the normal difference. But in general, in the morning cereal, afternoon rice, and vegetables and the evening pasta or fish.

Dr. C Elanchezhian

#

That means everything normal, so drinking 1.5 liters is not a big problem. If you are thirsty, you can drink some more water. The color of urine may be due to dehydration of water. Still no harm in doing an investigation.

Can Anxiety And Stress Cause Frequent Urination?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old male. I had anxiety issues since childhood. I have been jumping from one idea to another for a long time but it has been three years I have an issue with frequent urination. It started in a bad time for me when I was obsessing that I have HIV. No burning, just sligh...  Read Full »

I have excessive thirst and frequent urination. Are these due to my medications?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been on Lithium for bipolar disorder for over 20 years. From a blood test two years ago, I noticed that my GFR was below 40. So, I gradually started switching from Lithium to Epilim to avoid further damage to my kidneys. But now, I experience excessive thirst and I wake up at nig...  Read Full »

I do not show my emotion at any time. Is that due to anxiety or social disorder?

Query: Hello doctor, I believe I have some form of social disorder. I do not have feelings like others. I do not feel empathy but can be empathetic on cue as I know the social cues. And I prefer to keep to myself. Can you please advise where I can be diagnosed? I have always thought it was anxiety as this...  Read Full »