Q. My foot is swollen, and I think my uric acid is up again. Please suggest some medication.

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 31, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 23, 2021

My height is 5'6 feet, and my weight is 95 kg. My foot is swollen right now, and I am sure that my uric acid went up again. It happened two years ago, and I need some medication for the pain and the inflammation.

#

Firstly, the photo uploaded is not informative (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), as the extent of redness or inflammation is not well demarcated.

Secondly, do you have any history of gout?

If yes, how many acute flares did you have in the past?

How severe, only foot, single joint, or multiple joints? Any triggers like boozing, food intake rich in urate? Any history of physical exertion?

Well, management of gout includes three steps:

Acute flare management.

Acute flare prevention.

To clear the uric acid stones and to decrease deposition in the joints.

For now, management of pain is crucial.

Take tablet Naproxen 750 mg stat and then tablet Naproxen 250 mg thrice for 5 to 7 days with meals.

Take tablet Pantop 40 mg in the morning before breakfast.

Take rest.

Avoid Purine rich diet, no to alcohol and beverages.

Get the uric acid levels checked.

Revert to me with

1) Uric acid levels.

2) Good photograph with proper focus on the affected area along with a normal leg for reference.

3) Detailed past history.

4) Diet And drug history that includes both medicines and else as well.

Very important is to follow a proper diet, lose weight.

Finally, the urge to treat without a proven diagnosis is always resisted. Hence diagnosis is mandatory for the best management as we practice evidence-based medicine.

Get well soon.

|