Q. Will urinary output increase with BP medicine?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 18, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 30, 2020

Before two months, I had one stent put in the complete blocked artery. Scans showed heart muscle damage from an old heart attack this was caused by me not taking my BP drugs. So for the first time in my life I have stuck to taking all my prescribed drugs, these were Aspirin 75 mg, Amlodipine 10 mg, Atorvastatin 80 mg, Bisoprolol 1.25 mg, Ticagrelor 90 mg. It has been eight weeks I felt a great minus few chest niggles presumed this was stent settling and I am still smoking 20 a day.

Now for the last one week I have a severe dry mouth all the time despite drinking and my urine output is 5 liters to my input of 1 liter. At night I am going after every two to three minutes.

My doctor is thinking I have a UTI despite being negative for it. Now they are testing me for gonorrhea and chlamydia.

My suspicions are that the drugs I am taking causing this? I feel like stopping them all together or halving the dosage I cannot see my cardiologist until next year. Is there a link between my drugs and these symptoms? And am I safe to temporarily stop a few of them to rule them out? If so which ones are crucial and which are not? I am eternally grateful for your help.

#

All the medicines you are taking are essential medicines and should not be stopped except in case of severe allergy. None of these medicines cause increased urination.

Amlodipine is a blood pressure lowering medicine, it can be changed to some other medicine. This medicine may cause fluid retention and swelling of feet in some patients.

Regarding increased urination possibilities include maybe you are taking medicines called water pills or diuretics which are sometimes given in heart patients, these increase urine output. Please review your medicines. UTI (urinary tract infection) may cause increased urination. Raised BP itself may cause increased urination. Keep BP (blood pressure) in control.

Please reduce weight. Take Mediterranean diet, do regular exercise, and have a proper sleep. Never stop or switch to any medicine without consulting a cardiologist.

|