Inderal

How to stop a drug that has been taken for a prolonged period?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been taking Inderal 40 twice daily for more than two years for anxiety. How to stop it?  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep V Nair

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Inderal 40 is a beta-blocker called Propranolol; it is used to relieve anxiety. It acts by reducing heart rate and other actions on the sympathetic nervous system. Since you are taking 80 mg daily and are doing well, may I know why you want to stop it? The problem with...  Read Full »

I feel panic to face people in public. Is it fine to take Inderal?

Query: Hi doctor, I am getting panic to face people. I want to overcome it as it makes me sad. I am a teacher and this frustrates me when I have to say something in front of pupils. When I am in class I do not have a problem. But for example, when all the students gathered in the yard I used to avoid speak...  Read Full »

Psychiatrist, Sexologist, Psychotherapist

Answer: HI, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms and details you have mentioned clearly suggest social anxiety disorder. In social situations like speaking in front of a gathering, talking to someone of high reputation, speaking with opposite sex individuals develop anxiety symptoms like redness of fac...  Read Full »

Will replacing Inderal with cardioselective beta-blocker help in asthma?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a senior year medical student in Greece and I would like to ask you a question about my mother. She had a history of hyper/hypothyroidism about 10 years ago, but the last two years her thyroid has been managed and she stopped taking T4. Her cardiologist told her about 10 years ago ...  Read Full »

Dr. Tanmai Yermal (jain)

Internal Medicine Physician, Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the history you have described for your mother. I really appreciate the way you have presented it with all details. It is very important to know the reason to start tablet Inderal at first point. What kind of arrhythmia it was and all in order to ...  Read Full »

Can Zoloft and Propranolol be taken together?

Query: Hello doctor, I took Zoloft and Inderal and noticed some interaction. I would like that to be explained to me. Is it safe to take both Propranolol oral and Sertraline oral at the same time? Will Propranolol oral increase the level or effect of Sertraline by altering drug metabolism?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Zoloft (Sertraline) and Inderal (Propranolol) are metabolized through same pathway in the liver. Zoloft reduces the metabolism of Inderal resulting in higher levels of Inderal in the body. What that means for you is that the dose of Inderal should be reduced while you ...  Read Full »

What is the recommended dose of Inderal for social anxiety disorder?

Query: Hello doctor, I was affected by a social anxiety disorder. In the past two years, first, I used Inderal for one year and then Paroxetine 20 mg (SSRI) tablets. There was the best improvement in my confidence. Now from the last two weeks, I have not taken any happen. Do I want to use Inderal tablets ...  Read Full »

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician, Psychiatrist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How long have you been having social anxiety problems? How severe and persistent are the anxiety symptoms? If anxiety is predominantly situational, like before giving public presentations, then you can try Inderal (Propranolol) occasionally as needed. Contra-indicati...  Read Full »

I have a rash on my back which gets aggravated when I am in stress.What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had a rash on my back, neck and chest for over a month. I visited my physician and she thought it could be a fungal infection. She prescribed an anti-fungal medication which I took for 2 weeks. However, the medication did not do anything, and the rash is still present. It gets i...  Read Full »

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and attachments. (attachment removed to protect patient identity) It is not looking like fungal infection. It is more in favour of urticaria. Does it remain the same or fades with time and recur again? Does it aggravate with phys...  Read Full »

Am I in any sort of danger if I accidentally overdosed on Propranolol?

Query: Hi doctor, My doctor asked me to take 10 mg of Inderal three times a day. I accidentally took 20 mg this time. Am I in danger?  Read Full »

Dr. Vinod Kumar Atreya

General Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need not be worried about having taken 20 mg of Inderal (Propranolol). The range of dosages of Inderal is very wide. You are not in danger. Revert back to a cardiologist online for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist  Read Full »