Q. Can my tooth infection heal after taking medications for a week?

Dr. Ummah Mohammad

One week ago, I had a tooth infection visible on an X-ray. I was prescribed medications I took for a week, and now, the infection is not visible when I took another X-ray. Does that mean that I do not have an infection? Kindly suggest.

#

I read your question and understand your concern. The answer to your query is yes; it is possible that the infection got healed by medication, or irrigation. By infection, it means abscess and dental abscess, which is generally yellowish-white pus. A dental abscess is formed over time in a carious or injured teeth area. If drains are found opening nearby or irrigated properly, the abscess may get drained. It needs proper cleaning and antibiotics for the infection to vanish; otherwise, recurrence is quite common. Can you please send me a picture of your X-ray done on both days so I can suggest a confirmed diagnosis and treatment plan? Painkillers kill the pain temporarily, but you must go for a permanent solution because dental infection, once started, does not go away. Keep doing salt, and warm water mouth rinse four to five times daily. Do revert back for more details and queries.

|