Q. I have painful lymph nodes and brown patches in my sputum. I fear I have pneumonia. Please help.

Dr. N Ashok Viswanath

I feel like I may be having walking pneumonia or CMV or something. Aside from this, hopefully, you can view my history. I have felt ill for three years on and off. I have subcentimeter swollen and painful lymph nodes all over, but the PET scan was negative and only showed reactive nodes and tonsils. The symptoms only happen about every 30 days. I have tested positive in the past for Haemophilus influenzae type A and Dientamoeba fragilis. When I cough up sputum, it has traces of brown patches. I created my petri dish to try and see in place of my physicians. I understand I do not have cancer, but I get high blood pressure, tachycardia and feel bad every few weeks, which returns to normal. At night during this time, I experience a drop in my SpO2 level. Please let me know what you think.

#

I understand your query, and I saw all the images you have uploaded (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). Do not worry. Few individuals tend to suffer from low respiratory immunity, which leads to recurrent low-grade respiratory infection manifesting with these kinds of clinical features. For now, I would like to suggest taking food rich in vitamin A, vitamin E, vitamin C, vitamin D3, and vitamin B12 to boost respiratory immunity. Consume green tea twice a day. Flavonoids in green tea help in improving respiratory immunity. Avoid exposure to cold air. Regular breathing exercise with a respirometer helps in improving pulmonary function. I suggest you take these medications,

• Tablet Acetylcysteine 600 mg twice daily morning and night after food.
  • Tablet Montelukast 10 mg twice daily morning and night after food.
  • Tablet Levocetirizine 5 mg at night after food.
  • Tablet Vitamin C 500 mg once daily for 30 days.

Continue all the medications for 30 days. We will see how your body improves following these medications, food, and breathing exercise. If you have any habits like smoking, quit it. Stay hydrated. We may need to investigate further if you are not responding to these. Mostly you will improve. Take care.

Follow up if needed.

|