Q. Could past history of STD cause infertility?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Jun 26, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jun 29, 2019

I have been very stuck in the past few years. About four years ago, I was in a long term relationship with a boyfriend of mine. And during that time, I became sick and did not know what it was. Came to know that it was an STD (chlamydia). I was cleared after being in the hospital for two days. I have recently been with my current boyfriend for four years now and soon to be engaged.

We have tried conceiving, and nothing works. I believe I may be infertile due to what happened to me, but I did not think so at first because I thought the doctors during my hospital visit would have explained that something else was wrong. I have not gone to the gynecologist yet nor have got my concern about this checked because I am terrifyingly nervous of the outcome as I know it is severe. I need some help on any natural remedies if this is the case.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Chlamydia is an infection which appears very mild and may be asymptomatic, but the damage it causes is quite extensive. The main risk is of damage to the inner lining of tubes and also the structures surrounding the uterus. It can create a block to the movement of the sperm, egg, and embryos.As you have been treated in the hospital, the infection has been handled thoroughly and adequately.

You can find out if there has been any damage to the tubes, the bridge between ovary and uterus, where the egg and sperm meet to form an embryo. Either have an HSG (hysterosalpingography, X-ray with dye) or laparoscopy to clear any adhesions. If this path is clear, then there is nothing to worry, and you will surely get pregnant.

Quality and quantity of eggs are affected by these infections. At this age of 20 years, you can get pregnant.

There could be many other reasons for no pregnancy.

1. Have your partner's semen, blood sugar tested.

2. Have your blood sugar, and thyroid tested.

3. Has an abdominal and pelvic scan done to rule out any abnormalities? Out of these tubal patencies is most important.

Worst scenario if the tube is blocked, it needs to be cleared by hysteroscopic tubal cannulation, or if the damage is not correctable, then IVF (in-vitro fertilization) is the solution. I hope I have clarified your query, do write back if any more questions.

What are my risks for contracting STD after protected sex?

Query: Hello doctor, Four months back, I had protected sex with a massage girl. She gave me body to body massage, and then performed oral sex and vaginal sex while I was wearing a condom. I was wearing a condom throughout the whole time.There really was no kissing. Maybe one or two kisses on her neck. Som...  Read Full >>

Dr. Payal Chauhan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Skin to skin contact can lead to genital warts and genital molluscum contagiosum in the area of direct contact, which are viral infections. I cannot quantify the risk exactly but can tell that you will get these only if she had these active lesions at that time. No c...  Read Full

We are undergoing infertility treatment.Please advice regarding the diet.

Query: Hello doctor, Me and my wife are undergoing infertility treatment. I am 42 years old and my wife is 37 years old. We have had a failed IVF and a failed frozen embryo transfer. One month back we had an IVF procedure and it has turned positive. Now we are in the fourth week. We are much concerned abou...  Read Full >>

Dr. Arul Amuthan
Pharmacologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The psychological as well as lifestyle changes will definitely affect the fetus (baby within the uterus). Generally, heat producing foods or activities lead to production of prostaglandins. These prostaglandins can disturb the uterus. Thus, certain foods have to b...  Read Full

Ask an Infertility Specialist Now