Q. Do I need an antibiotic to treat inflammatory bowel syndrome?

Dr. Ghulam Fareed

I have inflammatory bowel syndrome and a leaky gut. Two days ago, I had leaky gut symptoms, and now I have straight acid bowel movements, undigested food coming out, abdominal pain, yellow stringy sticky stool, and a strong fish or seafood smell. I do not eat seafood or fish because I am allergic. Do I need an antibiotic? Kindly help.

#

I read your query and can understand your concern.

Considering your diagnosis of inflammatory bowel syndrome, I suppose your upper and lower gastrointestinal endoscopy is normal, along with all relevant blood and stool workup. However, if you feel the recent change in your bowel habits, at least get one stool detailed report to see infection and fecal calprotectin levels. If it comes high, you need antibiotics. Otherwise, not.

For your inflammatory bowel syndrome, I recommend taking regular probiotics or yogurt to replace your bad bacterial load with good bacteria within your gut. In your case, alarming signs and symptoms should be ruled by asking specific questions about your history.

Thank you and take care.

|