Q. How to manage a reddish swollen knee due to an insect bite?

Dr. Basuki Nath Bhagat

My wife was bitten behind her knee, probably by an insect (we did not see what it was) in the house. We have recently moved to this place, so I am not sure what it could be. After the incident in the evening, the area behind her knee was swollen. By the following day, it had expanded, so we went to a pharmacy, and they gave her Cortisone cream. The cream fixed the swollen area pretty quickly. But it seems it is traveling to the bottom, and today is the second day that her ankle is swollen and her calf a little bit. The original area is red and slightly bruised, but that is not expanded and has turned pale over the days. Kindly help.

#

I have read your query and understand your concern. I saw the attached files (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). My findings are the following.

1. I can see a pale area behind the knee and swollen ankle in comparison to the right ankle.

2. I can see a red spot behind the knee, which could probably be a bite mark of an insect.

My questions are:

1. Is there any pain in any part of the left leg or itching behind the knee?

2. Any pain on deep palpation over the swollen ankle and any difficulty in weight bearing while walking?

Please reply to the above questions and add any other signs and symptoms (if any) to guide you more. You mentioned that she took three tablets of steroid medicine, and this incident happened five days back. The duration point toward that it is mild, and taking the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAIDs) group of medication would help to resolve the ongoing inflammation. Therefore, I would suggest you follow these measures:

(consult a specialist doctor, discuss with them, and take medications with their consent).

1. Take the following combination of medicine Paracetamol (325 mg), Aceclofenac (100 mg), and Serratiopeptidase (15 mg) of any brand available, twice a day for three to five days.

2. Take tablet Avil (Pheniramine Maleate 25 mg) before bedtime for two days only.

The swelling would also resolve with a decrease in the ongoing inflammation by taking the above medicine. Do lukewarm sponging over the swollen ankle. During night-time, keep the left lower leg elevated by keeping 2 to 3 pillows behind it.

I hope you find my reply helpful. So reply to the above questions and follow up if you have any further queries.

Thank you for your response.

There is no pain, even when I apply pressure to the bitten area or other swollen regions. The insect-bitten area feels a bit sore, and it also feels a bit hardened. No pain in the swollen ankle, and I have no difficulties walking. I am not sure about the possibility of getting the combination drug Paracetamol (325 mg), Aceclofenac (100 mg), and Serratiopeptidase (15 mg) without a prescription from the pharmacies here, but I will try. I will follow your instructions. Hopefully, it will get better soon.

#

It is good to read that there is no sign of pain and present swelling is due to ongoing inflammation because of the insect bite. You might get the above-suggested medicine as it is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAIDs) that generally do not require a prescription. If you do not get this medicine combination in your area, ask the pharmacist to give Serratiopeptidase-containing medicine.

Please follow up if necessary regarding the current query.

|