Q. Can you help me with my insomnia problem?

Dr. Arpit Varshney

I am suffering from insomnia and have been experiencing the following symptoms for the past two months now; insomnia (some days, I cannot sleep at all), feeling of anxiety and fear, loss of appetite, and body aches. It seems to me that my brain is overstimulated. I cannot focus on other things rather than my worries. I tried yoga, breathing exercises, and meditation, which do not seem to help much. I am sharing the list of medications that I have taken so far.

1. Tablet Brain active denk for two months.

2. Magnesium B6 (still taking).

3. Tablet Xanax (Alprazolam) - 0.25 mg.

4. Tablet Clonazepam - 0.25 mg (occasionally at night for insomnia).

5. Tablet Melatonin - 3 mg for insomnia for three weeks.

6. I also took some herbal supplements (Persen forte).

I can not sleep day and night, and the next day, I am not sleepy. It gives me a tremendous amount of fear of not sleeping again. It is a cycle. Kindly help me in breaking this cycle.

Also, I would like to mention that I cannot get a prescription medication right now. Please advise me of something which I can get without a prescription. I researched and found a supplement named Gamalate B6 that I can buy at a local pharmacy. I am also thinking about purchasing a weighted blanket. Please advise if they can help me with my condition. If not, please share any other suggestions.

Thank you very much for your time.

#

You are suffering from anxiety neurosis. You are not getting well because of the wrong diagnosis and partial treatment. The medications that you are taking will only partly help you because the diagnosis is inaccurate. Clonazepam and Xanax (Alprazolam) can only help you sleep better but cannot resolve your anxiety problem. There are drugs called SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) and TCAs (tricyclic antidepressants). These drugs will help you in the long run, but you can purchase these medications only with a prescription. You can book an online appointment with icliniq.com or visit your local psychiatrist.

Once you start the drugs I mentioned, you will feel better within seven days.

Hope this helps.

Kindly revert in case of further queries.

|