Intestinal Obstruction

My mother spits back her oral feeds. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, My mom has had issues with eating. She has a PEG tube, which was placed for this reason. She does not vomit the tube feeding, but she spits back up what she takes orally. Whatever food she takes, it comes back and is full of phlegm. She is an end stage COPD patient and BiPAP dependent. Wh...  Read Full »

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Medical Gastroenterologist, Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your mother's history, there are two different infections. They are Clostridium difficile infection and yeast infection. The site of yeast infection is not mentioned in the question, though esophageal yeast infection is common. C.difficile colitis can never be a...  Read Full »

Can colon spasm cause G-J tube to pop out?

Query: Hi doctor, This patient had a G-J tube inserted two weeks ago. Is it possible to pop out of the body on its own after two weeks? Would the symptom of diarrhea caused by colon spasms produce enough pressure to pop out both the balloon type and bumper type feeding tube? Please clarify.  Read Full »

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is not possible by any reason for a G-J tube (gastrostomy-jejunostomy tube) to pop out unless the fixation was done adequately. Colon spasm may cause obstruction sometimes and in this situation, it is not advisable to continue G-J tube feeding. In such cases, in spi...  Read Full »

I have idiopathic spastic intestinal obstruction. Can you specify the exact location?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a rare disease called idiopathic spastic intestinal obstruction/spastic ileus with chronic, long-term course (barium stays about 40 hours in the small intestine). On a two-balloon endoscopy of the small intestine, colonoscopy with ileoscopy, CT, MRI revealed nothing. So, we can...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The condition idiopathic spastic intestinal obstruction/spastic ileus is a unique and rare condition indeed. In the barium pictures, the involved area is usually seen like a sudden constriction of a segment of the small or large bowel. The segment involved can be vis...  Read Full »

My son has abdominal swelling after Hirschsprung disease operation. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 2 years old. He had a problem with stool passage and Hirschsprung disease. Last month, with the guidance of doctor laparoscopy and colonic biopsy were done under trans and endorectal pull-through operation. But, for the last two weeks, he is suffering from abdominal distentio...  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, Paediatrician, Pediatric Allergy Asthma Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and your history as well. As per the report, there is an obstruction in the intestine due to the local infection, which generally happens post surgery in some cases. I would suggest you t...  Read Full »

Please help my mother, who is suffering from severe gastric issues and constipation.

Query: My mother, age 66 years is suffering from severe gastric trouble. She has had her gall bladder removed 20 years back and since then takes a lot of precautions while eating. Since last week she is having a lot of gastric issues and constipation. She had severe pain last week and has been taking Panto...  Read Full »

Dr. Prathish Kumar

Answer: Hello, With the history you have mentioned, abdominal pain, vomiting and constipation, we need to check for any presence of subacute intestinal obstruction. It can also be due to potassium deficiency in the body which will slow down the intestinal movements and cause such symptoms. Or it could be j...  Read Full »

What could cause problems like intestinal obstruction with constipation and piles?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 36 years old. I have a problem on the right side of the large intestine. I have four babies with cesarean surgeries. My youngest baby is 13 years old. My uterus was removed five years ago due to rasoli. After this operation, I felt pain in my anus and a year later I was alright b...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajesh Bansari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed your situation. For confirmation, what is going on, you need to visit to a gastroenterologist and get booked for upper and lower GI (gastrointestinal) endoscopy. But reading at your situation, it looks you have both acidity problem and constipation. ...  Read Full »

Will intestinal block cause stool impaction?

Query: Hello doctor. I did a herbal cleanse which seemed to cause a blockage. I worked with suppositories, fleet, laxative, magnesium supplements, senna docusate for temporary results. My symptoms are straining excessively, feeling of rectal blockage, digital retrieval to relieve pressure, feeling of in...  Read Full »

Dr. Zubin Dev Sharma

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From what I could make out from your description is that you have history of constipation but have a recent worsening possibly due to the 'cleanse'. You have a background of hypothyroidism. You have used a plethora of laxatives with some partial relief. For your imm...  Read Full »

Newborn is suffering from midgut malrotation. Kindly advise.

Query: Hello doctor, My 24 days newborn son is suffering from midgut malrotation. Is this a problem?  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Abnormal relationship of the vessels can cause intestinal obstruction or volvulus. It may be asymptomatic as well. If it is symptomatic in the form of pain that is related to malrotation, then this baby may need corrective surgery. You should show to a pediatric surgeon...  Read Full »

My 3.5 years old son is very lean. Please suggest some medicines and a diet chart.

Query: Hello doctor, My 3.5 years old son, who weighs 14 kg, is very active and he likes to play all day. But, he is not gaining any weight, and he is very lean. He takes his meal properly, but he defecates twice or thrice daily. Do I have to worry? Or is it normal? Any diet chart or medicine recommendati...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please note that 14 kg is fine for a 3.5 years old child. Since this is a growing phase, children become taller, which actually makes the parent think that the child is thin. Do not worry about this. Also, you can reduce giving him outside food, and I suggest you give de...  Read Full »

Taking Pantoprazole for high cholesterol. Can forearm tingling be signs of heart attack?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband has had high cholesterol for some time in the past week. He has mentioned that his forearms feel like they tingle after which clammy hands follow. It happens suddenly and stays for a while then goes away. It is not constant. He does seem to have had intestinal blo...  Read Full »

Dr. Isaac Gana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your husband's tingling is most likely due to the long time effect of Topzole (Pantoprazole) which causes hypomagnesemia which is reduced magnesium in the blood which in turn causes tingling and also increases the chance of a heart attack. There is nothing to worry ...  Read Full »