HomeAnswersOrthodontistinvisalignWhat could be the reason for my lip malalignment after treatment with invisalign?

Is it possible for invisalign treatment to cause lip malalignment?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. K. Shobana

Published At July 24, 2022
Reviewed AtJuly 25, 2023

Patient's Query

I finished my invisalign treatment two and a half years back. Then I started wearing the retainer every night to make sure my teeth did not keep moving. However, less than a year after finishing the treatment, I noticed my lips did not align properly anymore. The centers of my top and bottom lips are not lined up. Additionally, my jaw pops whenever I open it halfway or more. I got a check-up six months before, but the doctor said that it is not possible for invisalign to make my lips malaligned and that it was like this before treatment. I remember my lips alignment before the treatment, but I could be remembering wrong. My question is, Is my doctor lying to me? Is it possible for invisalign treatment to cause my lips or jaw to shift and for my lips to not align anymore? I did not know whom to ask. I am hoping to get a second opinion from a different orthodontist.

Answered by Dr. Naveen Thomas

Clear aligners (invisalign) do not have the strength to alter the height of your occlusion, which may cause your lip not to touch. It may be an acquired habit or previous anatomy because of mouth breathing. Sometimes changes may occur gradually. There can be many different reasons, but clear aligner therapy is not one of them.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Orthodontist

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy