Q. What is the treatment for recurrent iridocyclitis?

Dr. Naval Mendiratta
and medically reviewed by Dr. Dr. Divya Banu M
Published on Oct 29, 2019

I am suffering from iridocyclitis in my right eye since last six months. Every time when I stop my Pred Forte eye drops, it recurs after one month, till now it has recurred three times. I have tested for TB, anti-nuclear antibodies, anti-CCP antibodies, HLAB27 all are negative. But still the problem is not going. I have hypothyroidism since last five years, my ophthalmologist is not able to find out any reason for the same. Kindly suggest what should I do, whether it is related to autoimmune disease.

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatology
#

I have gone through your history and investigations (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Well firstly iridocyclitis (anterior uveitis) is mostly an autoimmune problem. We can only find a definite cause in 30 percent cases. So, when it is a single episode we tend to ignore it but when you have recurrent episodes (more than twice a year) we need to treat it. So, even if all are negative and you are getting recurrent episodes it needs to be treated.

HLAB 27 method done is an outdated one. You can request them to do by PCR method as it holds importance in your diagnosis. You can discuss with your ophthalmologist. As the treatment needs to be accelerated, we need to start you on DMARDS as for iridocyclitis only few drugs are useful. My preference would be Methotrexate but we will need to discuss with your ophthamologist once.

Is negative RNA PCR test on day 12 a conclusive one?

Query: Hi doctor, A month ago, I had unprotected oral sex with a CSW. On 4th day, I had severe headache and it lasted for five days and I had shaft tip pain for a day. On day 12, I had RNA PCR test and it came back negative. Also, on 12th day I carried CIMA antibody test and that too came back negative. ...  Read Full »

Ask a Rheumatologist Now