Q. Please go through my wife's reports and advise on her health condition.

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 08, 2020

My wife has been suffering from cold and bad throat for the past 11 days. Since then, she also has a low fever of 99 degrees Fahrenheit and it subsides during night. The doctor suggested her Augmentin 625 mg, but now her fingertips in the left hand has been swollen. As per laboratory tests done, she has been diagnosed with anemia. Moreover, she also has high WBC and platelet count, but the hemogram value is not constant. Here is the report taken from the past three months till now for your reference. Please suggest some advice on her health condition.

#

Based on your attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), my opinion is as follows:

• The hemoglobin is mildly low and red blood cells look microcytic hypochromic. She has mild iron deficiency anemia.
  • Her platelet count is also mildly high, which may be due to infection or bleeding during menstrual cycles.
  • Low grade fever could be due to persistent bacterial throat infection. As she is not having medication for her fever, antibiotics taken will reduce it.
  • I advice her protein diet along with salt water gargling. Ask her to avoid cold water or juices.
  • I suggest her Iron supplements, that is, Ferrous fumarate tablets to treat anemia. Also, follow the dose of antibiotics prescribed already. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicines with consent.

1. Ferrous fumarate tablet and continue same antibiotic.
2. Salt water gargling.

1. If she has cold, I suggest her Cetirizine
2. Do steam inhalation twice daily.

For further information consult a hematologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

She has been on antibiotics for the past 10 days. As the doses are increased, she has developed an allergic reaction. Her two fingers are swollen and have pain, particularly on her left hand. Can you please let me know whether you have gone through all the three reports, which I had attached for your reference. I have sent one report, which was taken before four months and the other two reports taken before 10 days. Please suggest any pathological tests to know the exact bacterial infection.

#

Yes, I have gone through all your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Based on your present query, my opinion is as follows:

• The report taken before four months shows an increased neutrophil count. But, in the present condition, neutrophil count is within normal range.
  • Low grade infection could be the main cause. A few medications can cause allergic reaction and swelling of finger tips could be one of them.
  • I suggest Azithromycin, as continuing an antibiotic for 11 days is not advisable. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and then take the medicine with consent.
  • Usually, in these conditions, bad throat is secondary to cold with post nasal drip in which secretions from nose move to the throat causing throat inflammation. Cold needs to be cured immediately.
  • For cold, I hope she is following steam inhalation and Cetirizine twice daily.
  • I advice her protein-rich diet and hot and warm fluids or food items until cold is cured. Also, maintain good hydration with at least six to eight liters of water per day.
  • I suggest a laboratory test known as throat or nasal swab for bacterial culture to be done.

For further information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|