What is the reason for shoulder and arm pain?

Q. What is the reason for shoulder and arm pain?

Answered by
Dr. Srivastava, Sumit
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on May 15, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 17, 2023

Hi doctor,

My wife is 28 years old. She is suffering from shoulder and arm pain. She has more pain during night-time and not able to get good sleep. First we consulted a doctor; he gave some multivitamin and Calcium tablets. Also advised her to do some exercise, but there is no effect. Then we consulted another doctor and he advised for a blood test. The result came back as hemoglobin 10.5 g/dl and serum uric acid 5.98 mg/dL. I have attached the medical prescription given by then for 20 days. He also told to avoid pillows. My wife started avoiding milk, milk products, meat, pulses etc. She is feeling fine now. After 20 days when she went for consultation some new doctor was there. He told that the uric acid is in range and no need to continue these medicines. Now again pain is there. Please tell us what test we need to do now to find the problem. Please tell the medicines which would be helpful in this case. Thanks in advance.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

Uric acid levels are within normal levels. Hemoglobin levels are reduced. Most probably it is due to iron deficiency anemia. She needs to take Iron and Folic acid tablets for a month and repeat her hemoglobin levels to see that it has returned to normal range. Coming to her shoulder and arm pain, since it is continuous and more at night it could be due to nerve compression. I would suggest you to carry out CT (computerized tomography) scan of cervical spine to rule out cervical spondylitis. Other causes could be frozen shoulder (shoulder stiffness and pain) where you need to take muscle relaxant like Zerodol (Aceclofenac). If it not able to relieve pain then you can take Tramadol to relieve pain. Thank you and take care.

Thanks doctor,

As you suggested for iron deficiency I have started giving my wife Hematinic syrup. Regarding CT scan of cervical spine, can I show the results to you? Or do I need to consult some specialist? For muscle relaxant Tramadol, can you give a brand name, quantity and frequency? Thank you.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

It is good that you have started Hematinic syrup to cover up iron deficiency anemia. I would suggest you to show out your CT scan report to an orthopedician since it might be possible that there need to be carry out certain physical tests. So, it is better to see a specialist in person. Zerodol is a muscle relaxant. Tramadol belongs to the class of drugs known as narcotic analgesics and act on opioid pain receptors. So, it is not muscle relaxant. You can take 50 mg to 100 mg of Tramadol at one time. But, do not go beyond 200 mg once in a day since it can lead to central nervous system side effects. You can take 50 mg dose twice a day. Brand name for Tramadol is Ultram 50. I would suggest you to take Tramadol under guidance of specialist since it needs dose titrations. Thank you and take care.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
My mom's sugar level is high with pain in left shoulder and arm. Please suggest medication.

Once the pain is under control then she can start physiotherapy exercises for shoulder and neck with a good therapy (this is required in follow up treatment once pain is under control) ...   Read full

Can hypothyroidism cause joint pain, shivering and fever?

.. symptoms are not related to thyroid issue. You could be having a viral infection. So, I suggest you to take tablet Zerodol P (combination of Aceclofenac and Paracetamol) three times a day. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and ta   Read full

Can you see the attached CBC report, and let me know if there is anything serious ?

If hemoglobinopathy is suspected, then HPLC (high-performance liquid chromatography) can be done ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a General Practitioner Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.