Q. What will happen to the focus if correction lens are placed for mixed astigmatism?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Please help me with my assignment. I am an optometry student. My question is what will happen to the foci when correction lenses are placed in the case of mixed astigmatism that has one focal point in the front, which is nearsighted and one behind the retina which is farsighted? Will they merge as one when you give spectacle correction? Or the focal points will remain at their own places even though there is correction already? Please reply.

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

The condition of one focus in front of the retina and another behind arises in mixed astigmatism as you have already mentioned. To correct this we prescribe toric lenses to the patient which as you must already know, have spherical and cylindrical components with opposite signs as we are treating mixed astigmatism.

The process of how a clear image is formed in this case will be illustrated using a strums conoid. This image is easy to find online or can be seen in a lot of basic ophthalmology textbooks.

Here the different meridians come to focus on the retina such that they produce a circle of least confusion this makes the image of the object form with any distortion on the retina. Anywhere in front of or behind the circle of least confusion, the image will be defocused.

| 

Will a regular contact lens cause eye damage in astigmatism?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a very blurred vision due to high eye grade and astigmatism. My left eye is 225, and the right eye is 675. I am planning to get a pair of contact lenses, but the special lenses are a bit pricey. Will it damage my eyesight if I am going to choose regular contact lenses?  Read Full »

I am using toric lenses for astigmatism. How long will it take to correct astigmatism?

Query: Hello doctor, I got toric lenses to correct my astigmatism. Can I switch to regular eye lenses? I want to have colored eye lenses, but it is not available in toric lenses. And how long will it take to correct astigmatism?  Read Full »

How to get rid of spectacles when the eye power increases from -0.5 to -1.5?

Query: Hello doctor,My eye power is only -0.5, but now it has increased to -1.5. I think it is due to the side effects of Perinorm tablets, which I was taking before six months. I am currently taking homeopathic medicines to remove my glass. Please suggest to me how to get rid of spectacles?  Read Full »