Q. After IUD insertion, my cycle has become irregular. What is your opinion?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 19, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 08, 2020

I am a 19 year old woman. I have always had normal 28 day cycle. Before five months, I have stopped taking a low dose hormonal birth control pill in favor of the paragard IUD. My cycle continued as normal after this. However, before two months, I had periods after 21 days and the next month too the same 21 day cycle followed. Then, I began my cycle after 14 days and have been menstruating for 15 days now. Other confounding variables include moving to the college, which were a large climate, altitude and environmental change as well as resuming sexual activity around the beginning of this cycle. I was tested for STIs before five months and received negative results. I have remained in a monogamous relationship. What is your opinion? Do I need to visit my gynecologist? I have heard that hormone pills can be taken to stop bleeding. Is that true?

#

• Please get yourself checked internally by a gynecologist. Also, get a pelvic scan done to see whether the IUD is well placed and also have a look at the uterus and ovaries.
  • Do get a complete blood test done. With all these reports meet your gynecologist and get checked.
  • Do get back to me with the reports so that I can guide you further. Please do not worry. It does not seem to be a major issue. Take care.

Revert back with the reports to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|