Q. After starting a new birth control pill, my periods have become irregular. Why?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 31, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 22, 2021

Last month, I started a new birth control pill and I bled nearly about 20 days or more. This month I was really late. But, my boobs were extremely sore. I am extremely sexually active with my boyfriend. Then, I bled heavily for a few days with clots and the pain was so extreme. I had nausea. But, before I felt sore boobs, fatigue and peed a lot. I was concerned that I could be pregnant. My bleeding stopped and I am spotting again after two days. But, my hCG levels are low. Why?

#

• If your beta hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) levels are below 100 and are not rising, then there is no chance of pregnancy.
  • However, these symptoms could be because of stress, strain, anxiety, work pressure, change of place, change in climate or hormonal changes due to the pills you have changed.
  • Usually, it takes two to three months for your periods to settle down and get adjusted to the new pill.  However, if you have a doubt, then get yourself checked internally by a gynecologist.
  • Also, get a pelvic scan done to rule out the exact cause. Do get back to me with reports, so that I can guide you further.

Revert back with the reports to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|