Q. I am suffering from irregular periods for the past 9 years due to PCOD. Will Meprate help?

Dr. Ridhi Narang

I am suffering from PCOD for the past nine years and my periods are irregular. I have to take medicine to get my cycle and I take Meprate for getting my period. Can I take Meprate tablet every month to regularize my cycle? Is it safe to take? Please suggest.

Dr. Ridhi Narang

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

It is fine to take Meperate, but I would like to know a few things.

For how long have you been taking? How many days is your cycle? Have you been on other medications too?

I would advise you to get these tests on day 2 of your periods:

1. Serum FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone).

2. Serum LH (luteinizing hormone).

3. Serum testosterone.

Review with reports.

You might need a combined hormonal pill, not just Meperate to get the periods.

| 

I am not taking any medicine right now. I took Meprate in the beginning of last year for three months. After that, I started my homeopathic medicine for this but it is not resolved, yet it still the same. I got my last cycle in December properly and after that I got spotting and again it stopped. And after that I did not get my cycle. I am really worried about my this problem. I need a genuine treatment, which can resolve my problem. Please help.

Dr. Ridhi Narang

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I have seen all of your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

USG (ultrasound) is suggestive of PCOD (polycystic ovary disease). FSH LH ratio, again towards PCOD. TSH is highly raised. Rest all looks fine. But as I can see these are last year reports, almost a one and half year back. It will be better if you can get all these tests again now and show me.

FSH and LH on day 2 of your period. TSH on any day but fasting.

First of all, I want you to stop taking Meperate only for the withdrawal bleeding.

Let us go step by step:

1. You need to start on oral hormonal pills, only Meperate is not going to help you. You have to start on oral combined low dose pills like Diane-35. This tablet packs contains 21 tablets, start from day 5 of your periods and then continue for 21 days. Stop you will get your periods with in 7-10 days. Start again on day 5. You have to do it strictly for at least six months continuously. Take Meperate (two times for three days) for now so that you get your periods and start this (Diane-35) from day 5 (or any day fro third to fifth day).

2. Improver you are dietary habits, take more of proteins and less of carbohydrates and fat.

3. Heavy exercises, which makes you sweat. Even if you are normal weight as per your age and height. Still, you have to and I am sure you want to do this.

4. TSH is very high. You have to start thyroid medication. Compulsory, I would like you to repeat TSH once again because it is a very old report.

If it comes around same, start at least 50 mcg of Thyroxine tablet. Take every day on empty stomach in the morning and do not take anything for the next half an hour. That means, wake up and have your thyroid tablets. If you can repeat it, it will be great.

5. Fasting insulin and FBS (fasting blood sugar) is in normal range.

PCOD is mainly a lifestyle disease. It is a metabolic disorder. Change your lifestyle as I advised already.

For now, it is only the periods issue for you, but later PCOD has chronic diseases issues (like hypertension, diabetes, like that) so better to keep it under control. PCOD is something which once you get, stays with you. You can only keep it under control. Do not worry, it is very common now a days but you need to treat and keep under control. Start tablet Diane-35 from day 5 and continue the medicine for six months. (From day 5 and for 21 days) cyclical. Then repeat your blood test on day 2 after six months. It will definitely improve. You might need to continue it for years but that is fine. It is not going to harm. It is just one tablet a day but it will keep it under control which is more important.

If you are married and planning for pregnancy go for pregnancy as early you want. PCOD interfere with fertility a lot, so better to concieve as soon as possible. If you do not want forget it, never mind but take tablets.

So in summary, take tablet Diane-35. And continue with diet maintanence, exercise, and thyroid medication.

You can review after three months too and if required.

| 
hiee doctor I got my period and I m done with my all test on day 2nd..

Dr. Ridhi Narang

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
# Hi

I just saw your reports.
Hormonal levels are suggestive of PCOD

You can start taking tablet Diane -35 as I advised already.
Start on day 3 and take for 21 days and then same cycle, again on day -3

Take it for 6 months or atleast 3 months and then again repeat your FSH and LH on day 2 of your period

This will help.
Follow all the advises I told you before most important weight loss
It will help you with all your complains

I hope I could help you with your problem
You can follow up anytime

Take care

|