Q. I did not get my periods for the past 3 months with a history of irregular periods. Please advise.

Dr. Deepali Raina
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 22, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 17, 2020

I am facing a problem of irregular periods. My periods were late for 15 days in the month of August 2019 and 7 days late in the month of September 2019. Between this period I went for check up and the doctor asked for ultrasound and thyroid test but my reports sounded very well and fine. However, I again missed my periods in October and got in November i.e. almost after two months but my flow was normal as it used to be earlier. Again I missed my periods in December month and got in the end of January 2020 but this time the flow was not, as usual, it was very slow without any pain that I used to have and lasted for almost 12-15 days. In February I missed and in March I got my last period with slow flow and lasted for 10 days this time.

From March, I have not got my periods it is almost going to be three months. In between this scenario, I daily have turmeric milk and was also taking sachi saheli but stopped after two days of drinking. Please consult me with some advice as due to COVID-19 it is not possible to consult a doctor.

#

This looks like PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome). Also, the most common cause of these symptoms at your age is PCOS. Birth control pills are hormones and form the best treatment for it. Before starting the treatment you need to undergo a few tests. It is not an emergency and you can wait for a month or two till the pandemic is over. Then get tested for FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone), LH (Luteinizing hormone), TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone), free testosterone, DHEAS (dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate) prolactin, and OGTT (oral glucose tolerance test). Consult again with reports. For periods, take tablet Meprate (Medroxyprogesterone acetate) 10 mg twice a day for five days. Within three to four days of stopping the treatment, you will get your periods.

|