Q. My periods are not regular after my abortion. What should I do?

Dr. Deepti Kurmi
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on May 15, 2019

I had abortion, D and C, two months ago. After that, I got my regular cycle on the next month, and it was normal. Last month starting there was a one-day spotting, which again started on the mid of the month and lasted for four days. And after some days I had periods with a dark brown colored discharge but not of that adequate amount, but it lasted for six days like a regular period.

But I had contact last month after which only the next spotting kind of discharge came as I told. I had progesterone from this month for four days to regularize my cycles. But I have not got my cycle till today. It is more than six days now. I usually used to get my period on the 5th day after progesterone. But this time I did not get my period till now. I do not want to be pregnant now. What should I do?

Dr. Deepti Kurmi

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

If there is a history of sexual intercourse after abortion, then I would suggest you do a blood test and serum beta hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) after 10 days of intercourse. Also, I would advise you to do one pelvic ultrasound and serum beta hCG to rule out any retained product of conception. If everything is fine, then you can take OCP (oral contraceptive pills) for three cycles to regularize your periods. Please do a pelvic ultrasound and serum beta hCG and send me the report.

After my D and C, one USG was done, and there was no RPOC. Now I had an abdominal, and pelvic USG. I have given the sample for beta hCG. Is there any chance for me to be pregnant since I had another dark brown discharge lasting for five to six days after nine days of intercourse?

Dr. Deepti Kurmi

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

USG (ultrasound) is normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Check beta hCG level. If it is less than 5, then you can start Ovral L (Norgestrel-Ethinyl Estradiol) for 21 days one tablet daily to regularize your periods. You will get your periods in three to four days after the stoppage of the medicines. Again from day two to three of menses start Ovral L for 21 days. Take for another three cycles. If beta hCG is positive, then pregnancy is confirmed. Then the treatment will be different.

But withdrawal bleeding has not yet come for tablet Getsofit SR 200 mg BD which I had taken for four days of this month.

Dr. Deepti Kurmi

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Withdrawal bleeding will not come if there is pregnancy or molar pregnancy. To rule out this, I have suggested you do beta hCG. Once it is negative, then you have to wait for your periods. Sometimes it takes three weeks for withdrawal bleeding to come.

Can I take hCG or progesterone injection for spotting in pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 7 weeks pregnant. I am passing clots and spotting is there for the last two weeks. USG revealed subchorionic hemorrhage, but the fetal heart rate is good. I am taking Susten 200 twice a day and Duphaston 10 once a day. My hCG is 18000 on the 7th week. Should I take hCG injection or p...  Read Full »

After abortion, my wife is bleeding from anus. How to manage?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife was admitted to hospital due to incomplete abortion and dengue fever NS1 reactive. She had 6 weeks pregnancy. Doctor has done surgical abortion and it was found dengue fever after blood test. She was admitted for three days. Her initial platelet count was 150000 and later 180000, ...  Read Full »

Is the abortion process complete or not?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently had an abortion pill. I took Mifepristone tablet first then after 36 hours, I took four tablets of Misoprostol of 200 mcg orally. At first, there was light bleeding during one hour then after some time I had heavy bleeding and it almost soaked two pads and it continued for ...  Read Full »