Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. My sister got her periods after six months. Should she visit a doctor?

Answered by
Dr. Sonal Prasad
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 21, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 27, 2020

Hi doctor,

My sister is 12.6 years old. She got her first period about six months ago. Just about four weeks ago, she got her second period. I know when you go through your first menstrual cycle it can be on and off, so that did not really bother me. But then, her second period just keeps coming back every day. Some days, it would only be blotchy and very dark. The other day, she bled heavy in bright red with severe cramps. It usually starts and ends at the same time every day. It starts around 10 AM and ends around 3.30 PM. She has PE in school three days a week and she would get plenty of exercise. My mom thinks that she has been taking Guanfacine and it has something to do with my hormones. Do you think that she should go to my local Endocrinologist? What do you think could be wrong? My mom heard of people taking low dosages of birth control medication. Is it advisable for my sister?

Dr. Sonal Prasad

Childbirth Educator Lactation Counselor Obstetrics And Gynaecology


Welcome to

  • You are right. Periods can go haywire during puberty. One of the reasons for this heavy cycle is because it has come after six months and the uterus is getting rid of six months of the endometrium.
  • It would be wise to visit a gynecologist to find out the causes of prolonged bleeding other than hormonal imbalance.
  • Also, it is advised to do the following tests:
  1. Get a serum TSH and PRL levels done (TSH - thyroid stimulating hormone and PRL - prolactin).
  2. Ultrasound pelvis.
  3. Von Willebrand factor (vWF) levels - puberty menorrhagia can be due to bleeding disorders.
  4. Complete blood count to assess blood loss and platelet count.
  • I suggest tablet Tranexamic acid 500 mg thrice a day for bleeding for five days. Hormonal drug should be started only after the above mentioned investigations are done.
  • Also, I suggest Iron supplement to help build up the depleted storage of iron. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

Differential diagnosis:

Hypothyroidism, hyperprolactinemia, bleeding disorders and PCOD (polycystic ovarian disease).

Probable diagnosis:

Puberty menorrhagia.

Treatment plan:

Hemostats and Progesterone if required.

Regarding follow up:

Revert back with the reports to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online.--->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Can hypothyroidism cause intermittent palpitations?
I have PCOD from the last 10 years. Please suggest a permanent cure.
Suffering from PCOD and taking medicines from past 1 year but still it has not reduced

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

I am facing irregular periods from one year. Tell me some ayurvedic remedies.

Query: Hello doctor, I am facing irregular periods problem from one year (since I took I-pill). I took I-pill in fear of getting pregnant although I did not have sex till now. I am still a virgin, but physically active with my boyfriend. I am putting on weight due to irregular periods and stomach disturba...  Read Full »

Can hypothyroidism cause joint pain, shivering and fever?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old. My weight is 60 kg and height is 5'10". Three months before, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Also, I am suffering from joint pain, shivering and fever. For this condition doctor advised me to take Thyrox 50 mcg, Thyrox 100 mcg for 10 days and Thyrox 125 mcg for ne...  Read Full »

My periods are irregular and not conceiving. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I have had a history of irregular periods and now I am failing to get pregnant. To highlight about my past, I started having my periods from the age of 14 and had irregular periods always. Sometimes, I had heavy flow for 7 to 8 days and sometimes it was scanty for only 2 days. I was put ...  Read Full »

Also Read

Can naked body to body massage spread HIV?
Hello doctor, I recently had some business trip during which I had some naked body to body massage wherein massager vag...  Read more»
Are COVID-19 Patients Infectious for up to 90 Days After Recovery?
There have been reports of recovered COVID-19 patients getting reinfected and testing positive for almost 3 months. Read...  Read more»
Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.