Q. What causes irregular period with heavy bleeding?

Dr. Suchada Chaiwechakarn
Published on Aug 22, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 27, 2019

I am 18 years old, girl, who went without her period for over six months. Thankfully it came back, as previously stated. But the thing is that it has not gone away ever since. I am quite honestly just wondering what it might possibly be.

Dr. Suchada Chaiwechakarn

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

It is very common not to have a monthly period after starting to have a period for the first time. In order to produce period, your pituitary, ovaries, and uterus have to work harmoniously and it takes over 3 to 4 years for them to work together well. It is called anovulatory bleeding which is bleeding after you have not ovulated for several months. The bleeding tends to be heavy and prolonged due to estrogen effects that build up endometrial cells. You can imagine that your endometrial layer is very thick so it takes a longer time to shed and bleed. You can prevent this by taking combined birth control pills that would imitate your normal menstrual cycles and will prevent prolonged bleeding in the future.

Does taking Krimson cause heavy bleeding?

Query: Hello doctor,I have PCOS and I visited a dermatologist for acne and hirsutism profile. She suggested me Krimson 35 for 21 days and Aldactone 50 for three months. I am on my fourth day of my periods and my bleeding had reduced but when I consumed Krimson 35 before going to sleep my bleeding increased...  Read Full »

I have irregular heavy bleeding. Is something wrong with my uterus?

Query: Hello Doctor, I am an 18 year old female. I had my normal period last week and it lasted for 7 days. Then three days after this it started again and was really heavy.This happens almost every month. Is something wrong with my uterus?  Read Full »

My doctor suggested pap smear for irregular period. Should I worry about cancer?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 24 years old. For the past two years, I have been having an irregular period cycle. My doctor recently suggested me to get my exam Pap smear. I have gained 60 pounds in the last three years. When I was younger, I had the HPV shots. I am nervous about the pap smear and having an irr...  Read Full »