Q. What shall I do to regularize my periods?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have been having PCOD since last 14 years. I started treatment before four years with Bigomet SR 1000. After continuing it for eight months, I had periods with more gap compared to earlier. Then, I had periods only with the help of medicine and so, I left the treatment. I started my treatment again before nine months and had regular periods. I dropped the treatment again. I have to regularize my periods now using medicines as I am planning for pregnancy. I am taking Myotol-F and Folvite for the last one month. During this period my doctor gave me three tablets and said after 10 days my periods will occur. Now, it is more than 10 days and no periods yet. I have attached my laboratory test reports for your reference. Is there any other problem?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and in your case, PCOD (polycystic ovarian disease) is not a problem for delayed menses, but high prolactin levels due to hyperprolactinemia.

PCOD can be controlled with diet, exercise and weight loss and even with Cyproterone oral contraceptive pills, but menses would not regularize and ovulation would also be irregular if the prolactin levels are not under control at all.

I suggest you dopamine agonists like Cabergoline, twice a week for three to four weeks to bring down the prolactin levels.

Presently, I believe you have been given progesterone pills for initiating withdrawal bleed, but just mere 3 pills of even Primolut-N are insufficient to initiate a bleed. Hence, you have not received a withdrawal at all.

Wait for another five days and if menses do not occur, then you should be started on Primolut-N 5 mg twice a day for five days at least and then withdrawal should be expected in the next 5 to 7 days from the day of the last pill intake. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and get the dose altered.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Should I take Cabergoline along with Myotol-F and Folvite?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Yes, Cabergoline should be started along with the other two tablets and it has to be prescribed by your gynecologist.

| 

Does high prolactin hamper conception?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been trying to conceive for last one year. Examination showed high thyroid and prolactin levels. My doctor put me on Thyronorm 25 and Cabergoline 0.5. My thyroid levels became normal but my prolactin levels came down to 35.06 from 55 after three months. Recent blood test showed 37....  Read Full »

Can I Get Pregnant with PCOS?

Article Overview: With the right treatment and a healthy lifestyle, even women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) have high chances of getting pregnant. To know more, read the article. Read Article

Dr. Pari Bansari

PCOS (polycystic ovaries syndrome) is quite challenging and frustrating. Most women do not seek help until they get menstrual irregularity and have a problem in getting pregnant. The good news is, with the right treatment and healthy lifestyle, women with PCOS have high chances of getting pregnant. ...  Read Article

Is it safe to take oral contraceptive pill?

Query: Hi doctor, My girlfriend had irregular periods and USG pelvis showed PCOD. So, she is taking COCP. In spite of taking the drug properly, she missed her period this month. Is anything wrong with her? What to do now? Does she need to continue the drug? Or should she stop it? I heard that COCP may caus...  Read Full »