Q. Why are my periods always super irregular?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Khurana

I started my period when I was 11. I am now 24. My period has always been super irregular. I can go on for 60 to 75 days with no period. It will be on time for two months, then back to missing two months. I have talked to my doctor multiple times but never really got an answer. I have one son who was born three years back. I have an ultrasound to look for fibroids but my doctor said he did not see anything. I am just wondering why my period is super irregular.

#

• You areoverweight (BMI is high) for your height.
  • It could be polycystic ovaries. Do you have abnormal hair growth near the chin, on the side of your face, or on the abdomen and around the nipple?
  • I will suggest a few tests. Get it done on day-2 or day-3 of your periods.
  1. Fasting blood sugar.
  2. Fasting insulin.
  3. Serum prolactin.
  4. FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone).
  5. LH (Luteinizing hormone).
  6. DHEAS.
  7. 17 alpha hydroxyprogesterone.
  8. Serum calcium.
  9. Vitamin D 25-OH (D3).
  • You have to be put on an oral contraceptive pill. It will help in regulating the cycle, and decrease abnormal hair growth.
  • Decrease your weight. Do regular exercise or join a gym. This too will help in regulating your cycle and other symptoms. You need to reduce 10 to 14 kg over a period of six to eight months.
  • Avoid junk food like cold drinks, pizza, and burger. Eat a high fiber diet with lots of fresh fruits and vegetables (boiled).

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|