Q. Why are my periods irregular?

Dr. Bhagyarekha Yattinamani
This is a premium question & answer published on May 09, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 31, 2021

I am 17 years old. My periods are irregular. Sometimes, it lasts for 15 days, and sometimes, I have it for seven days or four days. Last month, I got my periods only for three days with a slight flow. Now again, it got started with minute spots. I do not know what is happening to me.

#

I understand your concern. After menarche till 18 years of age, our body will be adjusting to the hormonal changes and HPO (hypothalamic pituitary ovarian axis) axis will be maturing till 18 years of age. Hence, irregular periods are common during this period. In your case, your BMI (body mass index) is high and you seem to be obese on considering your height. As per your height, your ideal weight should be around 55 kilograms. Weight reduction helps best for periods. As more estrogen is produced from the body fat, it leads to hormonal imbalance and so obesity causes insulin resistance and acne. Get evaluated for thyroid. You can take tablet Yaz (Ethinyl estradiol with Drospirenone) for three months to regulate your periods.

|