Q. I need to have two to three bowel movements to clear my bowel completely. Why?

Dr. Sandeep V Nair

I have recently had a shift in my bowel movements. They are now jagged, look fluffy; some bits will float and have light red streaks or strings on them. When I wake up in the morning, I need to have two to three bowel movements to clear my bowels completely. I am unsure what is causing my bowels to look like that.

Kindly help.

#

I hope you are not on any medications, have diabetes or thyroid disorder, and have not undergone any abdominal surgeries. Recent changes in consistency and color of the stool may be due to change in dietary habits like taking more processed carbohydrates, proteins, and less fiber. Intake of water can also affect the consistency of stool. If there is no change in your diet and fluid intake, then the difference in the stool needs to be tested. To begin with the basic tests like complete blood count, C-reactive protein, stool for occult blood tests, and abdomen ultrasound should be done. If anything is positive in the tests mentioned above, you should consult a gastroenterologist for further workup.

The possibilities include irritable bowel syndrome, chronic pancreatitis, and inflammatory bowel disease.

|