Q. What could be the reason for stomach ache and diarrhea for four weeks?

Dr. Natasha Bansal

I have been experiencing stomach pain with diarrhea for the last four weeks. I had a colonoscopy done eight weeks ago, and it was normal. However, this is something new, and I am worried it could be a bowel obstruction. I do not have a problem passing gas. Sometimes, I feel rumbling in my stomach. Is there anything to be worried? Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern.

All your symptoms fit the description of a disease known as IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). It is a clinical diagnosis, and no investigations are required to diagnose it. Also, it is a functional disorder, so there will be nothing significant in any investigations, no matter how many investigations you undergo. This condition is due to anxiety that causes indigestion via the gut-brain axis. Therefore, I would suggest the following.

• Tablet Rifaximine 550 twice daily
  • Tablet Placida (Flupenthixol and Melitracen) twice daily
  • Tab Pantoprazole levosulpiride once daily
  • A good probiotic once daily

Take this treatment for two weeks, and you will feel much better. Further treatment modification will be done after two weeks of treatment. But complete treatment for this condition is for three months, after which you will be completely cured.

Also, a dietary pattern called low-FODMAP (Fermentable Oligosaccharides, Disaccharides, Monosaccharides, and Polyols) diet helps manage this condition. Kindly revert in case of further queries.

I had a colonoscopy done two months ago as I had constipation. Is it possible to have constipation for a while and then have diarrhea? Kindly help.

#

This is nothing serious like bowel obstruction because you will not be able to pass flatus as well and would have had vomitings and abdominal distension.

Irritable bowel syndrome has three types

1. Constipation predominant

2. Diarrhea predominant

3. Mixed with alternate diarrhea and constipation.

So your symptoms fit perfectly into mixed types of Irritable bowel syndrome. Just take this treatment, and you will feel the difference in a week or two. Also, I would like to know if you have any other chronic illnesses or medication going on right now?

|