Q. What is the outcome of my mother's MRI report?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 15, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 25, 2020

My mom is 55 years old. We met with a car accident. She got hit near eyebrows and so far she is on the safer side. She does not have any symptoms such as headache, paralysis, etc. Our doctor suggested a CT scan of her head. In the report they found some white matter which is not clear with CT scan report. So, again doctor suggested for MRI with contrast. In the report they have mentioned that bilateral asymmetrical T2 or FLAIR hyperintensities in subcortical frontoparietal and deep white matter suggesting of small vessel ischemic more than expected for the patient's stated age. Please explain the above.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

We are here to help you.

• This report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) is suggestive of ischemic changes. These findings are incidental and not related to the head injury she had.
  • She needs to be evaluated for the possible causes like high blood pressure, diabetes and high cholesterol.
  • I would recommend the following investigations:
  1. Fasting lipid profile.
  2. Echocardiogram.
  3. Thyroid profile.
  4. HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin).
  5. Carotid Doppler.

Revert back with the investigation report to a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

| 

My mom does not have BP, diabetes and cholesterol. All these tests are taken recently when we did a complete master health checkup. Could you explain me what is ischemic change in brain and how this will affect? For my mom, kindly recommend how to avoid this disease. Do we have medicines to cure this? Is this a very serious issue to address? She does not have any symptoms and she is very normal. We are really afraid of this. Please could you explain me what to do now. Thank you.

#

• I would recommend, at least carotid Doppler, Hs-CRP (high sensitivity C-reactive protein) and echo, which must not have been performed in her routine evaluation.
  • I would also recommend regular exercise and walking and also suggest having low fat diet.

Revert back with the investigation reports to a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|