Itching During Pregnancy

How to manage severe itching during pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 35 weeks pregnant and have itching all over the body except on the palm and feet. Doctor gave me Cetirizine for six days, and the itching is still there. I have got the LFT done as per the doctor's advice, and the reports are normal. As itching still exists, the doctor suggested m...  Read Full »

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Itching in pregnancy can be due to either pregnancy-induced hormonal changes, which usually get relieved post-delivery. Sometimes a condition called intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy can also cause such kind of itching, which is more specific on palms and soles t...  Read Full »

Is Udiliv recommended for severe itching during pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 27 weeks pregnant and have been detected with high SGPT 117. I have full body itiching which is getting worse, and my doctor has prescribed me Udiliv 300 mg five times a day for one month. Is it safe to take Udiliv 300 mg five times?  Read Full »

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on the description you mentioned, it appears that you have this condition called intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy (ICP), which can cause elevated liver enzymes or bilirubin along with itching. But however, it is important to rule out other causes of eleva...  Read Full »

Is it safe to get injections for severe skin itching during pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I have red bumps on hands, lower back and legs. It is also itching a lot. In some body portion blood patches had happened due to itching. For this itching Estrogen, LCZ and Lobate are used as current medication, but no use. I am going for liver function test as soon as possible. Are inj...  Read Full »

Dr. Gaurang Gupta

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Hair Transplant Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). These are looking like PUPP - Pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy or it can be AEP - atopic eruption of pregnancy. In both cases the treatment is the same and there is n...  Read Full »

Can Atarax be taken for itching during pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 8 months and 10 days pregnant. I am having itching in my whole body from the last eight days. I also tried Aloe Vera lotion for it. Is taking Atarax tablets safe for me at this time?  Read Full »

Dr. Nadia Khan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do you have itching with rash or without rash? And do you have itching palms and soles as well? You may have obstetric cholestasis and you must see your obstetrician immediately and do not self treat the condition. You need liver function tests. Get checked to see if...  Read Full »

What causes the entire body to itch during pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am pregnant, and my entire body is itching. What could be the reason? Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Gowrimeena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If there is itching alone (especially involving palms and soles) without any skin rashes, it could be a condition called obstetric cholestasis. In obstetric cholestasis, the liver is unable to send out the waste product called bile acids, and they accumulate in the b...  Read Full »

Having itching all over the body during pregnancy. How to get relief?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 33 weeks pregnant. I have itching all over the body for the past three weeks. So the doctor suggested me to do an LFT test. I have an ALT of 27 U/L and AST of 24 U/L. But alkaline phosphatase (ALP) is high with a value of 225 IU/L. Do I have OC and ICP? Kindly suggest me a treatment...  Read Full »

Dr. Hafiz Muhammad Hassan Shoukat

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This condition is known as pregnancy-related cholestasis. Your other liver enzymes are normal. It is a benign condition, and it will go away after delivering a baby. Just be careful abo...  Read Full »

Is it safe to take Udiliv during pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is in her 7th month of pregnancy. Since last 15 to 20 days, she has been experiencing itching throughout her body. She was ordered liver function test. Report for blood sample collected and attached. Based on this report, she has been taking Udiliv 150 mg twice a day and also Li...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. She is suffering from IHCP or intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and hence the itching. The parameters have deranged and AST (aspartate aminotransferase), ALT (alanine aminotransferase) and Alkaline phosphatase hav...  Read Full »

I am 35 weeks pregnant, can cholestasis be causing an itch on my stretch marks, arms, and thighs?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 35 weeks pregnant. By last week my stretch marks were started to itch. So, my OG advised applying Calamine lotion (which does not contain antihistamine). It seemed to soothe the itching, but slowly the itching started spreading to my upper arms and thighs. Then she prescribed Avil t...  Read Full »

Infertility Specialist, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Let me start by putting you at ease by saying that you are normal and your doctor has been doing a great job. As you are near delivery, the skin stretches to its maximum and the tissue u...  Read Full »

How can itching be effectively and safely controlled during pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 35 years old and is four months pregnant now. She is suffering from severe itching which is not responding to any medication. Her doctor advised to take Udiliv 150 and Cetirizine, but there is no relief. We changed the doctor, and this doc advised to take Udiplus 300, capsu...  Read Full »

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Yes, it is obstetric cholestasis. During pregnancy, Udiliv (Ursodeoxycholic acid) 300 mg is the best and effective treatment for cholestasis. Your gynecologist has prescribed yo...  Read Full »