I am a 25-year-old male with a red rash on my scrotum; it is itchy and sometimes burns. I consulted a doctor a year ago, and he said eczema and told me to apply baby powder. It worked, but it is back again. Please help.
The history and image provided (the attachments are removed to protect the patient's identity) may be Tinea cruris of the scrotum. Tinea cruris is a fungal infection that appears in the folds of the skin, private areas, underarms, groin area, and areas that remain unexposed. They occur due to multiple factors, most commonly due to the stagnation of moisture and sweat. In addition, due to reduced immunity, a previous history of eczema, as mentioned in the query, may also increase the chances of fungal infections. Other reasons include wearing tight clothes, avoiding wiping water and moisture following a bath, using harsh chemicals and soap while cleansing, and sharing belongings with an infected person or contacting an infected person.
1. Terbinafine cream to be applied twice daily on the affected area for six weeks or till the rashes reduce in appearance.
2. Terbinafine dusting powder in the afternoon and evening for moisture absorption. Baby powder also functions similarly. But this dusting powder helps specifically for reducing itching.
3. Wash the area with lukewarm salt water twice daily and clean and dry the area well before applying the above medications.
4. Capsule Itraconazole 200 mg once every night after dinner for four weeks.
5. Capsule Becosules Z (vitamin B complex, vitamin C and zinc) once daily after breakfast for one month to increase immunity and prevent recurrences.
6. Avoid stagnation of moisture and sweat by wiping the area during moisture stagnation and airing the site frequently.
7. Ensure wearing loose-fitting clothes and avoid underwear while at home for airing the area.
8. Include more fruits and vegetables in your diet and reduce meat and dairy products. In addition, consume adequate water daily.
9. Oilatum emollient (liquid paraffin), one cap full in one liter of water may also be used for washing the private area to prevent dryness and itching sensation once daily.
10. Tablet Cetirizine 10 mg one hour before sleep for seven days. This medication may cause sedation because going out or driving is not advised after consuming the tablet. Use only for one week to reduce itching soon.
Tinea cruris may appear on and off if stagnation of moisture and sweat is not avoided and immunity is low. It will take a few weeks to months to recover, so consistency with the above treatment must be ensured.
I hope you find it helpful.
Was this answer helpful?
Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!
.. neither cyst nor Fordyce spots.
Sexually transmitted disease can be a probability. But, for proper diagnosis I need to know the complete history that is the onset, progression and duration of lesion.
Did you experience any whole body itching p... Read full
Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.