Q. Could boric acid exposure cause itching and tingling sensation in the body and eyes?

Dr. Aida Abaz Quka

I am a 21-year-old female weighing about 125 pounds. I took 600 mg of boric acid and accidentally touched some of the powder almost a month ago. I went to the ER and was diagnosed with heart palpitations and hypokalemia. That was resolved shortly with Potassium medication. A month after the boric acid incident, I am experiencing brief tingling and itchiness all over my body and eyes. My heart rate is still weird. Also, my weight has been lower than usual.

Did that one incident of boric acid cause nerve damage? Or is it the hypokalemia lasting effects? I underwent blood tests, EKG, and had an X-ray taken. All the reports were normal. However, the tingling and itchiness started about three days ago and the boric acid incident occurred last month. At the ER, the EKG result showed bilateral sinus tachycardia.

Kindly suggest a solution for this.

#

I understand your concern and would explain that your symptoms are not related to that episode.

I think it could be just a little anxiety or vitamin deficiency.

For this reason, I suggest you to check your blood electrolytes, thyroid hormone levels, vitamin D, and vitamin B 12 plasma levels for possible deficiency. In addition, our body regulates potassium levels as needed based on our diet. This autoregulatory process is disruptive only in case of malnutrition or kidney failure. And this is not your case.

I hope you will find this information helpful.

|