Q. My diabetic father gets recurrent itchy skin rashes. Please help.

Dr. Vandana Andrews

My father is a 63-year-old diabetic. He is having itchy skin rashes for a few months now. He tried Dermovate but they kept reappearing. He is taking 45 units of insulin per day and 5 g of Felodipine and 120 g Kanarb Fimasartan for blood pressure management. We had his blood and urine tested and I just got the results which I would like you to interpret and also know what might be causing his skin rashes?

Dr. Vandana Andrews

Internal Medicine
#

Welcome to icliiniq.com.

Thanks for sharing the blood report, and detailed health history (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

The reason for skin itching is poorly controlled blood sugar levels. One simple way to explain that is when blood sugar is not controlled well, the body is more compromised and quick to get a fungal and bacterial skin infection, very commonly seen in diabetic patients. I would request you to monitor blood sugar levels carefully, maintain a healthy lifestyle, take your medication regularly, and diabetic diet. Maintain good skin hygiene, keep it clean dry and use pure coconut virgin oil on the area where it itches. It has good healing properly, itching should subside once the blood sugar is controlled. You can take an antihistamine for a severe case of allergy.

|