Q. Is it true that an IUD can stay inside forever?

Dr. Purushottam Sah
and medically reviewed by Dr.Lekshmipriya B
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 25, 2017 and last reviewed on: Feb 11, 2022

I had a DNC done two years ago. My doctor was supposed to remove my IUD but did not. I found out when I had an ultrasound last week. Can IUD remain while he did the DNC procedure? Is it true that the IUD can stay forever?

#

The IUD (intrauterine device) could remain inside if the DNC (dilation and curettage) done was fractional. It means that only parts of the endometrial tissue were removed. Another possibility is if the IUD is embedded in the endometrium, it can remain forever as it is not absorbable.

|