Q. Which is a better birth control method, Depo-Provera or a non-hormonal coil?

Dr. Radha P H

I have been using Depo-Provera for the last three years. And I am having issues with on and off bleeding. So, I decided to put the non-hormonal coil, which I have been using already. I removed the coil as I wanted to conceive. Since then, nothing has happened. I have been having long menstrual cycles varying between 35 to 41 days.

Kindly advise.

#

Your irregular cycles are due to hormonal imbalance. I suggest you undergo blood tests and an ultrasound scan of your abdomen and pelvis to rule out the anemia, thyroid hormone problem, and PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome).

The blood test to be done are CBC (complete blood count), RBC (red blood cells), HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin), TFT (thyroid function tests), prolactin levels, and an abdomen and pelvis ultrasound.

If you have polycystic ovaries, then periods will be irregular, and pregnancy may be delayed. And also, your overweight should be treated immediately. Your weight should be less than 55 kg, corresponding to your height.

So go for brisk walking, do exercises, control your diet to the maximum possible way, reduce carbohydrates, take proteins, eat more vegetables and fruits. Refined foods made of maida should be avoided.

Take care.

|