IVF (in vitro fertilization) is a type of assisted reproductive technology, which is used to treat infertility. During IVF, mature eggs and sperm are retrieved, and fertilization takes place in a petri dish in a lab. IVF is indicated if the fallopian tube is blocked or damaged, endometriosis, uterine fibroid, low sperm count and motility, and genetic disorders.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Can IVF help my sister who has not conceived eight years after marriage?

Query: Hello doctor, My sister got married eight years ago and has not conceived yet. She slipped into depression recently. Both she and her husband do not have any other conditions or problems. Can IVF help her? Kindly suggest.   Read Full »

Dr. Monica Mathur

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern and would be happy to help. The most common cause of infertility is blockage of fallopian tubes, or sometimes the egg gets entrapped after release. I suggest your sister to consult an infertility specialist to know the exact cause. I hope ...  Read Full »

Would my low sperm count have an adverse effect on IVF and ICSI?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 39-year-old male with a low sperm count of 1.9 million. My blood work shows that I have a high FSH. Our doctor highly suggested that I get genetic testing done before we proceed with an IVF or an ICSI. I would like to know why he would suggest that.  Read Full »

Dr. Ashok Kumar Choudhary

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to inform you that the low sperm count and high FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone) are indicative of organic disorders of the testes. In other words, the parameters indicate the possibility of either a partial or a complete testicular failure. The g...  Read Full »

Can contraceptive pills thicken ovary walls?

Query: Hi doctor, My 36 year old wife was just diagnosed with a retroverted uterus, adenomyosis, and polycystic ovaries, which are causing her severe pain. The first gynecologist told her to go on contraceptive pills for two months to rest the uterus and identify the pain, but she said that her ovaries a...  Read Full »

Dr. Meeta Airen

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, contraceptive pills cannot cause ovarian thickening. Your wife's age is 36, at which ovarian egg reserve is reduced. But, it can be determined only by doing serum AMH (anti-Mullerian hormone) and day-2 scan. If she has polycystic ovaries, then it cannot be less. You m...  Read Full »

My IVF has failed and the APLA test came out positive. Will I be able to conceive in future?

Query: Hello doctor, I underwent an in vitro fertilization (IVF), and it was a failure. In the last two years, I have never conceived, and just before the IVF test, I was told I am APLA positive with an anti-beta-2-glycoprotein IgM value of 105.2mg/dL. I have been prescribed tablets HCQ 200 mg, Ecosprin 75...  Read Full »

Dr. Monica Mathur

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. APLA (antiphospholipid antibody) test basically diagnoses certain antibodies which stop the embryo from growing. This is basically a bi-chemical test, and since you have undergone one IVF (in vitro fertilization), I would like to know whether your both tubes are open,...  Read Full »

I have been diagnosed with asthenozoospermia. Can I still become a father?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32 year old male married for five years. My wife and I are trying for a baby for the last two and a half years with no luck. My wife had gone for an HSG and other tests and her reports are all good. My semen analysis was fine too. We had gone for IUI thrice with no luck. Now, f...  Read Full »

Dr. Shahil Khant

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). As per your report, you have asthenoteratozoospermia. Also, your report shows pus cells. Now, I suggest the following:  Get a semen culture done to rule out an infection in the semen which may ...  Read Full »

I have conceived via donor egg IVF. Will low hCG level affect the pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am two weeks pregnant. I underwent treatment for conceiving, I used donor egg IVF (in vitro fertilization) treatment. Currently my hCG level is low as informed by my doctor, and I have been advised to get another blood test done. Currently I am taking Progesterone, Aspirin, Folic Aci...  Read Full »

Dr. Richa Agarwal

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.comThanks for trusting us with your health. I have gone through your history and understand your concerns.As per your description, these symptoms can be due to hormonal imbalance due to pregnancy. When undergoing pelvic ultrasound, endometrial thickness and fetal heartbeat a...  Read Full »

My 38-year-old wife has AMH of 0.85. Is IVF a better option for us?

Query: Hello doctor,My wife is 38-years-old. She has one fallopian tube, and her AMH is 0.85. About 12 years ago, she had a stillbirth baby with a Turner syndrome, then that same year an ectopic pregnancy followed by live birth, and our son is now nine. Before we started IVF, she got pregnant within five m...  Read Full »

Dr. Akhileshwar Singh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your babies had Turner and then trisomy 22. This is because of your age. You may again conceive naturally. But chances of conceiving naturally with an anti-Mullerian hormone test (AMH) of 0.85 will be too expectant. Had your babies been normal without any problem, it w...  Read Full »

What does CA-125 level 638 indicate?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 34 year old female, and I am suffering from severe pain and heavy bleeding every month, during my periods. I need to take painkillers to feel fine, and sometimes, it does not work. My recent medical report shows that I have endometriosis and cysts on both of my ovaries. But, I am s...  Read Full »

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are few conditions where CA-125 (cancer antigen 125) remains elevated. Some of them are cancerous and some of them benign. Endometriosis is a benign condition, where CA-125 remains high. So, that is the reason for your high CA-125. IVF (in vitro fertiliz...  Read Full »

Is it safe to reduce Gestone injection after the fetal heartbeat is heard?

Query: Hi doctor,I am six weeks and three days pregnant with the help of IVF, and it is frozen embryo transfer on day 20. My doctor suggested reducing Gestone injection frequency from daily to alternate days when heartbeats were checked after the sixth-week scan. And to continue oral Duphaston and vaginal ...  Read Full »

Dr. Manwani Saloni Dilip

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.I understand your concern. Once the fetal heartbeat is seen, it is safe to reduce the progesterone injections, as now the placenta will start producing its progesterone. You still have oral and vaginal progesterone to support it, but excess progesterone can cause nausea and...  Read Full »

Is it acceptable to have mitochondrial embryo donation above 40 years of age?

Query: Hi doctor, I am considering mitochondrial embryo donation. However, prior to doing so, I am wondering about a home hormonal balancing option as I found online. Which do you suggest for attempting first? I am 44 years old with an AMH of .5 ng/mL, six follicles located in the ultrasound, an FSH level...  Read Full »

Dr. Sameer Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In your case, medical treatment for raising AMH (anti-mullerian hormone test) levels can be offered before opting for an IVF (in-vitro fertilization) or ICSI (intracytoplasmic sperm injection) procedure. Also please share the online hormonal balancing option whic...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.