Q. How to conceive naturally at the age of 42?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

My age is 42 years married and no kids. I have not used any medicines to conceive. However, since the last four to five months my periods are irregular. I got my second period on 15 th day this month. My FSH level on day 2 is 13.25 and LH level is 3.31. I would like to know is there an issue with my hormones? And whether I can conceive?

#

There are a few things of concern in your case. As your age is 42 years, the fertility reserve and quality of eggs usually reduce with age. So it becomes more and more difficult to conceive. As per your reports, the FSH is a little high, which could be due to perimenopausal transition. The irregularities in your periods are also because of the same reason.

Your AMH (anti-mullerian hormone) level which is an indicator of the fertility reserve is very low that is 0.1 which means that there are almost a very few viable (almost nil) eggs remaining in the ovary. You should consult a fertility expert and take an opinion regarding the possibility of IVF (in-vitro fertilization, test-tube baby in other words) after a thorough investigation of you and your husband and if possible should get it done at the earliest.

Conceiving naturally is almost impossible in your case. Better to consult a fertility specialist as soon as possible as you plan to conceive.

Thyroid profile. USG (ultrasound) abdomen and pelvis.

Consult your fertility expert for an opinion on IVF.

|