Q. My wife is pregnant through IVF. Is Lonopin injection compulsory for her?

Dr. Jyoti Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 21, 2019

My wife is 3 months 3 days pregnant through IVF. Currently, she was prescribed to have the medication, which I have attached for your reference. Even after 3 months, they are forcing her to take Lonopin injection, which is very irritating, painful and give side effects like nausea. We have done TVS, which is normal and the heartbeat is 150. Please guide us. How to deal with this? Is it really needed?

#

• If she has a history of recurrent miscarriages or recurrent fetal deaths or repeated IVF failures, then Lonopin seems essential till at least 5 months.
  • If not, then still I would say it is a prophylaxis to help avoid problems of miscarriage due to unknown immunological factors.
  • I understand taking it daily is a problem. But, I am sure that the doctor must have done it in good faith.

For further information consult an infertility specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/infertility-specialist

Can she take the injection on alternate days?

#

• As I said if repeated miscarriage or IVF failures present, then the daily injection is preferable.
  • Every alternate day may be taken for some time till she starts feeling better.

For further doubts consult an infertility specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/infertility-specialist

|