Q. Why am I having cracking and popping sounds in jaws and wrist?

Dr. Atul Prakash

My jaw pops and cracks and it has been happening for like two years. It used to be worse but it comes and goes. Also, when I move my wrists, there is a cracking or popping noise. Sometimes, my wrist locks and I have to roll it to fix it. Is this bad? I am a female.

Do you have a question on Jaw Clicking or Popping Sound?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Atul Prakash

MBBS., MS ORTH., DNB ORTH., MNAMS., FRCS
Fitness Expert Orthopedics And Traumatology Physiotherapy Spine Health

Fingers popping is common and not considered to be a cause for worry. It, however, must be remembered that you should avoid popping them. Jaw cracking is another condition that as long it is not painful it can be observed, but if you have pain in the areas just in front of the ears when you clench your teeth or you feel a click, or you are unable to either open your jaw fully or if the jaw dislocates then you should see a doctor. Wrist clicking and locking need to be seen by a doctor to confirm that this is from a generalized laxity of the ligaments and not from an injury.

Also Read Answers From: Jaw Clicking Popping Sound

How to correct jaw discomfort and bite alignment?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 18 years old. I have jaw discomfort and a misaligned bite. I have not removed my wisdom tooth, and I have a habit of popping the jaw. I usually put my palm over the jaw near my ear, and there will be a pop. I have a gum tissue behind my molar, and I am unable to close my left side o...  Read Full »
Dr. Geeth Sadasivam
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Check your temporomandibular joint X-ray first. It sounds like a TMJ problem called a lockjaw. Depending upon the degree of damage, you require treatment. The most common solution is wearing a splint every day to prevent a rough sliding of joints. Since you are 18 years...  Read Full »

What would you advise for clogging of ears and tinnitus after a flu?
Query: Hello doctor,I am a 44 year old female, mother of 2, 165 cm tall and 75 kg weight. Two months ago, I fell ill with a bad flu (may have been also an acute viral infection) with high temp (39 degrees), probable inflammation in the sinuses, nose, and throat and sinuses pain. The first antibiotic (Klaci...  Read Full »
Dr. Subhadeep Karanjai

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The clogging of ears and ringing sensation (tinnitus) are probably due to accumulation of fluid in your middle ear post eustachian tube blockage, as a result of the upper respiratory tract infection you had had previously, a condition known as serous otitis media. I ...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now