Q. I have jaw pain which is radiating to my arm. Is it a cardiac or TMJ problem?

Dr. Isaac Gana
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 24, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 28, 2021

I am a 34 year old female, and I have had some palpitations. I was diagnosed with very mild MVP, about five years ago. I go yearly for an echocardiogram. I had my annual heart checkup beginning this year, and I redid an echocardiogram again, and a stress test on the treadmill, and also wore a Holter monitor. All came back normal. I am afraid that something is wrong with my heart. Yesterday, we were driving back from a trip, and my left lower jaw had intermittent pain, which was radiating to my arm. The pain was on and off for about half the day. Today, my entire jaw, forehead, neck, and upper back are sore. It scares me that it is heart-related. I have also been diagnosed with TMJ problem, and I wear a mouthguard for it. What do you think? I am very active, and I run every week. What would those tests show? Will they show potential problems with the heart?

#

Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have read your complaints, and there is no need for worry.

• Your symptoms are most likely not due to a cardiovascular cause. Jaw pain that is caused by cardiovascular problems is usually associated with chest pain, shortness of breath, etc.
  • Your symptoms are caused by the TMJ (temporomandibular joint), and I suggest you take a painkiller, like tablet Ibuprofen 400 mg, two tablets, three times a day for five days. Eat soft food and avoid chewing hard food. Also before sleeping, apply a cold compress using ice. It will help you.

Best regards.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Thank you for replying. Will the tests that I got, show any potential heart problems?

#

• Yes if you had a heart problem, all the test performed would have indicated it. The chance that the test did not show any problem with your heart is 1 %.
  • I understand your worries because you are experiencing palpitations. Palpitations are very common amongst healthy people and are mostly not harmful. Likewise, mild MVP (mitral valve prolapse) is what we usually find in a large number of the population.
  • My advice is that you keep to a healthy lifestyle. Eat healthily, always get adequate sleep and avoid harmful habits. Also, keep a close eye on any changes you might notice. Best regards.

For further queries consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|