Q. I am applying Quadriderm for ten years, yet my jock itch is worsening. Why?

Dr. B. T. Priya
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

I have an annoying case of jock itch for ten years. It is a chronic condition for me (flare-up in summer), and I deal with it by using Abzorb powder. When I know I will sweat during walking, cycling, or working out, I apply a mixture of liquid Paraffin and Quadriderm. On days when the itching is really bad, I take a Xyzal. Of late, the itching has become worse. The perineal area is affected. In the past, I had taken an oral antifungal course

I am a 47-year-old male with no other medical issues apart from being overweight. That is the catch 22 situation. I am becoming much more active and am sweating more as a result.

#

Ten years is a long time to suffer from this condition. Is it tinea cruris or only intertrigo?

You have applied Quadriderm (Betamethasone, Clotrimazole, and Neomycin) for a long time. It is a steroid combination. Quadriderm, though it gives relief from the symptoms, will worsen your condition and also damage your skin irreversibly on long-term use. Please stop it. Obesity and sweating probe areas are other aggravating factors for the condition.

I suggest the following:

1) Apply Abzorb (Clotrimazole) powder in the morning.

2) Capsule Syntran 200 (Itraconazole) once a day for three weeks.

3) Tablet Xyzal (Levocetirizine Dihydrochloride) half tablet twice a day for three weeks

4) Apply Zole-F cream (Fluocinolone acetonide and Miconazole) to the area in night for ten days

5) After ten days, apply Onabet cream (Sertaconazole) at night.

Please review after three weeks. I hope this was helpful.

|