Q. What can cause pain at the joint?

Dr. Pooja Pardhi
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 19, 2019

My inner muscle is hurting in my upper right leg. I can touch and feel a small round lump at my upper leg joint. I am having it for the past three days. Today, I am feeling more pain. Please help.

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

#

I have gone through your query and can understand your health concern.

• Pain at the joint can be due to injury to bones forming the joint or ligaments or bursa or muscles overlying the joint.
  • As per your query, you have lump over the joint. It may or may not be related to joint as there is no history of injury.
  • If it is causing restriction of joint movements then definitely it is related to the joint.
  • Lump can also be due to some soft tissue swelling or tumor of the muscles.
  • Other causes are infection of the joint forming an abscess which results in severe pain. In some cases tuberculosis of the joint can also present like this. You need proper evaluation.
  • In my opinion, you should consult an orthopedician as proper examination is necessary. You need an x-ray of the joint and MRI if required.
  • You can take some anti-inflammatory drug like tablet Acenac-P (combination of Aceclofenac and Paracetamol) twice daily after food for five days for pain relief.
  • Also, you can apply hot water bag over the joint for about 15-20 minutes thrice a day if it is a bony or muscular pain.

Revert back with the x-ray reports to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

This lump or soft tissue swelling has happened to me many times before. But, after four to five days it has become normal. I have observed that this happens to me when I eat more sour food. But, I am not sure. I am afraid it is a cancer. Please help. Thank you.

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

#

• As per your query, it is not present all the time. So, I think it is related to joint only.
  • Definitely it is not related to any kind of food. It is difficult to tell without proper examination. In my opinion, you should consult an orthopedician.
  • No need to worry as it is not there all the time, so cancer is unlikely. But, consult an orthopedician if you can for further physical evaluation.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|