Q. Can ayurveda treatment dissolve kidney stones of size 1. 2 cm which is in the right UV junction?

Answered by Dr. Alka and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Kidney Stones or Ayurvedic Remedies For Kidney Stones? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: Can ayurveda treatment dissolve kidney stones of size 1. 2 cm which is in the right UV junction?

I am a 58 year old male. My ultrasound scan shows 1.2 cm kidney stone in the right UV junction. I have no serious pain or discomfort. I am going through my daily routine without difficulty. The main problem is frequent urination. I faced the problem of continuous urge to urinate and mild pain on the right side for around five months ago. That time only basic blood and urine tests were conducted. As I had the pain again before a few days, I had an ultrasound.

An ayurveda doctor says that I should take Stonex and Cystone tablets for two to three weeks and the kidney stone will disintegrate and pass through urine. I was advised that the creatinine level of 1.6 mg/dL is not high and I need not worry. I was also advised that only in case of extreme emergency and severe pain, I should go through lithotripsy and not ureteroscopy.

In contrast, the allopathy hospital says 1.2 cm stone will not come out through conservative management like Cystone and Stonex. The kidney stone is obstructing the right kidney, which has led to rise in my creatinine.

I was advised to go through ureteroscopic removal of the kidney stone. Which is right? Can ayurveda treatment with Cystone and Stonex disintegrate a 1.2 cm stone in a short time? Can I wait and watch for a few weeks?

Either lithotripsy or ureteroscopy, which is better for the removal of stone in the UV junction?