Q. What is the kidney report indicating?

Dr. Saurabh S Pandya

My nephew is having left kidney size of 90x36 mm (moderate-gross dilatation PCs is seen (AP diameter of pelvis 23 mm) cortical thickness 5 mm and his right kidney is 70x28 mm.

Impression: Moderate-gross LT hydronephrosis (left side hydronephrosis with possible PUJ obstruction). Age of the patient is 2 years and 3 months, trying to understand if this case needs to be operated to remove urine. I am concerned that as patient is only 2 years old, does this really be operated immediately or can we wait for a few more months under monitoring.

#

There is narrowing of left kidney tube called PUJ obstruction (attachment removed to protect patient identity). He needs to undergo DTPA renogram to know extent of kidney function and degree of obstruction. If kidney is functioning fairly and if an obstruction is confirmed, it needs to be repaired. Age is not an issue as it can be operated safely after 6 months of age. Left kidney thickness is 5 mm, so it may be getting damaged, better to do DTPA scan and then go for surgery without delay.

|