Q. Due to fall, my mom has knee pain which aggravates while sitting and bending the legs. Plese help.

Dr. Atul Prakash
This is a premium question & answer published on May 07, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 19, 2020

Two months ago my mother fell down on her knees but did not seem to complain. Recently, she did a bit of house work for a few days and her knee is in pain especially in the back where you bend your leg. Pain is also notable when she sits down for an hour or longer and gets up, and also when waking after sleep.

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert Orthopedics And Traumatology Physiotherapy Spine Health
#

Your mother has osteoarthritis of the knee and the fall may have stirred this further. The pain that you describe is at the back of the knee this can come from the knee cap as well as the degenerative tear of the medial meniscus. As there are a very little mechanical symptom like locking and giving way not there is much of an effusion I feel that the pain is from the knee cap.

The pain in such cases can be at the back of the knee, pain is worse in climbing stairs or coming down, worse after having sat down for any length of time. This condition is called patellofemoral compression syndrome and can be helped with regular exercise and patellar gaping and a course of anti-inflammatory medications like Diclofenac or Piroxicam. In addition, she can take Paracetamol and Tramadol combination for pain.

She will need to do VMO, gluteal, core strengthening exercise, and hamstrings stretches, in addition, she needs to avoid squatting. The physiotherapist can in addition give IFT or TENs to help. it will take 3-6 months for the pain to settle down.

MRI also shows an incarcerated needle tip under the patella have but I need to have this physically checked if this was recent and was it from the fall on to a sharp object.

| 

She fell on the street, and I am not sure if there was any sharp object, maybe she hit a small pebble, or is there an actually nail punctured? Also, I sent the other part of the MRI and picture of the back of the knee where the pain is. It is a little dark colored and painful while touching.

Dr. Atul Prakash

#

I have seen the picture. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Yes, I can see a bruise at the back of the knee and surely it will be tender to touch. I will recommend in addition to the above prescription to apply ice to the area of bruise for 15 minutes every alternate hour. She can also apply a pain-relieving gel when she is not icing, make sure that there is a gap of 45 minutes between applying the ice and the gel and vice versa.

As far as the sharp object is concerned, I will not panic at the moment and will like to see the pain response to the medication and local therapy for at least two weeks before I start to worry. I feel that pain should respond well during this time and please observe the precautions that I discussed i.e. not squatting during this time period. Keep an eye on the size of the bruising also.

| 

Knee Pain in Old Age - Osteoarthritis

Article Overview: Knee pain is the most common joint problem seen in older adults. Osteoarthritis is the leading cause of this. Learn more about this condition here. Read Article

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Osteoarthritis (OA) is a chronic joint disorder in which there is progressive softening and disintegration of articular cartilage accompanied by new growth of bone at the joint margins and capsular fibrosis. Osteoarthritis may be asymmetrically or symmetrically distributed and often localized to onl...  Read Article

Why does my left arm keep twitching?

Query: Hello doctor,  Recently, I have been playing quite a lot of sport. However, my left bicep seems to be going into spasm or is twitching. There is no pain, but I cannot stop it. Please help. It is only on my left arm.  Read Full »

Osteoarthritis of Knee

Article Overview: This is a patient information article on wear and tear in knee joint. It gives information regarding understanding of osteoarthritis of knee its causes, prevention and methods of treatment available. Read Article

Dr. Mohan Krishna

Osteoarthritis can affect any joint in the body. It is like wear and tear which develops over many years. It is common in people over 50 years of age, particularly in women. Both knees need not to be affected at the same time. The cartilage gradually roughens and becomes thin exposing the underlyin...  Read Article

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now