Q. What causes a goose egg-type soft and squishy bump on the knees?

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

I have a giant goose egg-type bump on my knee. It is super soft and squishy. It is not itchy, but it is warm to the touch, like fluid under the skin. The pian is minimal, but the knee does feel slightly unstable.

#

It looks like it is either a cyst or patellar bursitis. Both are conditions where fluid accumulates in space below the skin, over the joint, or within the joint space. It could be infected sometimes, as I could see (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). You have minor pain and feel like an unstable knee; the origin could be from the joint underneath. It needs evaluation further to decide on the way to treat it. Treatment depends on the cause of the fluid accumulation. It is challenging to comment precisely without seeing and examining the site. I suggest you see your physician for further examination.

Hope it helps.

Take care.

Thank you for the reply, doctor.

I am attaching a copy of the pictures below. Please take a look at it.

#

I can say it looks like a cyst by looking at pictures (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). Initially, your doctor may advise some anti-inflammatory medications to see the response. Hopefully, it should regress. If not, it may be needed to drain the fluid with an antibiotic cover. Kindly consult your doctor.

Take care.

|