Q. My 7-year-old son is not concentrating on his online classes. Kindly suggest tips to be attentive.

Answered by
Dr. Anil Kumar Kumawat
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 29, 2020

Hello doctor,

My 6 years 10 months son is not concentrating on online classes. Before he used to complete the homework, now he cannot write even small words. He keeps on thinking something, and always mumbling something. When online class started, he was attentive for a month, then he has became worse and now he does not even respond to question which teachers asks online. Me and my wife have to sit for four hours just to complete one page of homework. Here there are no childrens to play with him. Last week, I took him to my brothers house, so that he could play with my brothers children. He was very happy there. When school starts he will become normal, but I cannot think about that this academic year. Please help.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I can understand your feelings. More screen time create irritability in children and adult also. For better development of a child, he needs all favorable environments like social, educational, spiritual, recreational, etc. In COVID-19 time sociality is entirely lost because we all are behind the doors. If a teacher present physically he can manage completely. A 6-year-old child is much smart that the virtual platform cannot manage him. Please do not bother about the grade of your child. Reduce screen time. Children in this age copy and compare themselves with other children. Work alone seems punishment when it is the whole day and no partner there. I hope you understand the feelings of your child, that is why you are very concerned.

Thank you doctor,

But the academic year may not start this year. We are afraid that he may not cope with next year's syllabus.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

I agree with you, and I know may be other children are doing better in the same class, so ur concern is right. As you said, he was good with his cousins then make simple rules. Give some time to study otherwise no play activities. We called this token economy which means you will give token of appreciation in any form after the certain task completed.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I lack my concentration due to unwanted sex I had. What should I do?

In accordance with forgetting this try to involve in other pleasurable activity, be with a friend, take proper sleep and healthy diet, can take low dose anti-anxiety drug from your doctor ...   Read full

Students and Stress

.. student suicides is not only disheartening and unfortunate but also happens to represent the tip of the iceberg of a highly prevalent and often neglected phenomenon, namely 'student stress .. ...   Read full

When I try to focus in class, my pupil moves to the corner of the eyes involuntarily. Why?

.. called stress-induced nystagmus. There is an involuntary movement of eyeballs when you fall conscious of people around you. It happens due to reduced levels of neurotransmitters such as serotonin. It helps in reducing the stress-handling capacity ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Alzheimer's Disease - an Overview
Alzheimer's is a neurodegenerative condition that can seriously hamper one's day to day activities and quality of life. ...  Read more»
My father is experiencing hospital delirium after ankle surgery. Please help.
Hi doctor, I am concerned about drug interaction for my father. He is experiencing hospital delirium after surgery. My ...  Read more»
Is there a chance for dengue reattack in the same season?
Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with dengue towards the end of last month. I was hospitalized for five days. I went through...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Psychiatrist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.