Q. My 7-year-old son is not concentrating on his online classes. Kindly suggest tips to be attentive.

Dr. Anil Kumar Kumawat

My 6 years 10 months son is not concentrating on online classes. Before he used to complete the homework, now he cannot write even small words. He keeps on thinking something, and always mumbling something. When online class started, he was attentive for a month, then he has became worse and now he does not even respond to question which teachers asks online. Me and my wife have to sit for four hours just to complete one page of homework. Here there are no childrens to play with him. Last week, I took him to my brothers house, so that he could play with my brothers children. He was very happy there. When school starts he will become normal, but I cannot think about that this academic year. Please help.

#

I can understand your feelings. More screen time create irritability in children and adult also. For better development of a child, he needs all favorable environments like social, educational, spiritual, recreational, etc. In COVID-19 time sociality is entirely lost because we all are behind the doors. If a teacher present physically he can manage completely. A 6-year-old child is much smart that the virtual platform cannot manage him. Please do not bother about the grade of your child. Reduce screen time. Children in this age copy and compare themselves with other children. Work alone seems punishment when it is the whole day and no partner there. I hope you understand the feelings of your child, that is why you are very concerned.

But the academic year may not start this year. We are afraid that he may not cope with next year's syllabus.

#

I agree with you, and I know may be other children are doing better in the same class, so ur concern is right. As you said, he was good with his cousins then make simple rules. Give some time to study otherwise no play activities. We called this token economy which means you will give token of appreciation in any form after the certain task completed.

|